Jatimatic

Sep 1, 2002
Hi, I have a 2000 KX 250.....The manual calls for any SE, SF, or SG rated 10w/30 or 10w/40 motor oil for the crankcase/tranny.
Any suggestions on type/brand, or perhaps straight weight gear oils?
TIA

bigred455

"LET'S JUST RIDE"
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 12, 2000
I have tried them all,from belray,amsoil,valvoline.motul,to mobil1.Mobil 1 15 /50 or their 10/40 motorcycle brand is no doubt the best for my 00 kx 250.The shifts are consistent (POWER ON) clutch pull also stays very consistent when the clutch gets a good work out.I have noticed with other brands when you are really working the clutch I lose my free play in the cable ,(TIGHTEN UP) with the mobil 1 it just simply stays the same lap after lap.No other brand that I have tried comes even close,well maybe the belray,but mobil 1 their is a noticeable difference.None of them touches the shifting department.I try to stay with their 10/40 motorcycle brand 8.00 qrt,they say it has more phosorus and zinc than the 15/50 which aids in wear better.The 15/50 for automobiles has less because they use catalyic converters.RICH ;) I cannot tell the difference in performance between the both. ARE YOU GUYS STOKED I AM STOKED. :scream: :scream:

bigred455

"LET'S JUST RIDE"
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 12, 2000
Originally posted by bigred455
I have tried them all,from belray,amsoil,valvoline.motul,to mobil1.Mobil 1 15 /50 or their 10/40 motorcycle brand is no doubt the best for my 00 kx 250.The shifts are consistent (POWER ON) clutch pull also stays very consistent when the clutch gets a good work out.I have noticed with other brands when you are really working the clutch I lose my free play in the cable ,(TIGHTEN UP) with the mobil 1 it just simply stays the same lap after lap.No other brand that I have tried comes even close,well maybe the belray,but mobil 1 their is a noticeable difference.None of them touches the shifting department.I try to stay with their 10/40 motorcycle brand 8.00 .qrt,they say it has more phosorus and zinc than the 15/50 which aids in wear better.The 15/50 for automobiles has less because they use catalyic converters.RICH ;) I cannot tell the difference in performance between the both. ARE YOU GUYS STOKED I AM STOKED. :scream: :scream:

I would like to take back what I have said about one of the oils I have tried recently.I was trying out the amsoil 10/40 mortorcyle oil in my tranny.My shifts were becoming very inconsistent on the track(very sandy).It was also muddy in alot of sections.I was cursing the oil for the mis-shifts.It was at the end of the day,so I was packing up.I took a quick look at my bike and noticed the chain had no slack what so ever,my chain was adjusted perfect before I started cutting laps.The mud caused my chain to tighten up really good, so this would not be a fair test for the amsoil.Any kind of oil that you use with a tight chain, the shifts will suck. I will give the amsoil another shot..ARE YOU GUYS STOKED I AM STOKED. :scream: :scream:

Last edited:

bigred455

"LET'S JUST RIDE"
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 12, 2000
Originally posted by bigred455

I would like to take back what I have said about one of the oils I have tried recently.I was trying out the amsoil 10/40 mortorcyle oil in my tranny.My shifts were becoming very inconsistent on the track(very sandy).It was also muddy in alot of sections.I was cursing the oil for the mis-shifts.It was at the end of the day,so I was packing up.I took a quick look at my bike and noticed the chain had no slack what so ever,my chain was adjusted perfect before I started cutting laps.The mud caused my chain to tighten up really good, so this would not be a fair test for the amsoil.Any kind of oil that you use with a tight chain, the shifts will suck. I will give the amsoil another shot..ARE YOU GUYS STOKED I AM STOKED. :scream: :scream:

I had 2 outings with the amsoil 10/40 in my kx, 4 hrs total riding time on the track.The conditions were dry not muddy,the chain did not bind up on me with these 2 outings from the mud.I had no problem what so ever grabbing gears in the sand section with the power on ,let me say the sand section is pretty thick.The shifts were consistent,along with the clutch free play(did not change)I checked my handicap window on the kx :silly: After 4 hrs on the oil is was as clear and clean like you just poured it in .The mobil 1 15/50,10/40mc also stayed clean as well.I fell into this phoshorus and zinc fix what can I say. ;) I will continue to use the amsoil instead of the mobil 1 10/40 mc being the amsoil is $3.00 less.. :thumb:

Rutbuster1

Sep 30, 2002
I've got to agree with the Mobil 1 oil. It is good oil and have had no problems. I've also had good luck with Castrol Synthetic. I use 20w 50w in both brands. Also, just regular Mobil 20w 50w is good oil. It doesn't break down until after about 3 races.....Rut

Coop37

Oct 4, 2000
Silkolene pro comp gear oil works real well, I tested a bunch of trany oils, and found that this oil didnt get dark like the rest did. the resistance for clutch fading wasnt there either. shifted fine, (shifting has never been a problem) just was looking for a oil that didnt burn up and turn dark after every ride, and a oil that would cut down on clutch fade.
Give it a try!

cr25096er

Apr 16, 2002
how does type F atf work? im using honda hp85wt gear oil and i get the sypmtom of the oil being too think at times, my clutch will still pull a little until i rev the engine. could type F atf fix this?

Top Bottom