Mar 16, 2007
ok I have a choice of either getting a 06 cr125 or a 06 crf250. I cant decide wether I should go 2t or 4t. I have been told and also read that starting out on a 2t will make you a better rider in the long run but I have been riding a 4t lately and have begun to like 4t having the power always there etc. and i was a die hard 2t. anyways i have read and been told that starting out on a 2t will make you a better rider in the long run, my question is why? and also if you believe thats true? Im not sure because I find myself being able to easily take an inside line and clear the next jump, but when im on a 2t and take the inside line I have a hard time clearing the jump.

Mar 16, 2007
nope both brand spanking new, its a tuff choice, because I want to be the best rider I can be, which means get a 2 stroke, but I see myself doing things on a 4t I cant do on a 2t. I went riding in the desert yesterday and had no problem blasting up steep hillclimbs etc on the 4t, had it been a 2t probably would have been a bit harder.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
Just a different style of riding. If cost of maint. is important, go with the 125.

Mar 16, 2007
yup cost came across my mind, but the real reason im considering a 2t is because its said to make you a better rider in the long run, so im thinking get the 2t and once I have that 125 maxed out make the jump to a 250f.

Mar 16, 2007
well heres the thing, I dont know if I believe riding a 2t will make you a better rider in the long run.(how many of you believe this?) how can that be when im doing things on a 4t I cant do on a 2t?therefore i would think the 4t makes you a better rider faster. after this one turn at the track i clear it no problem on a 4t but on a 2t I dont quite make it. although with practice on a 2t im sure I could but I just see the 4t pull right thru the corners where you can see it takes a second for the 2t to kick in.

:bang: still cant make up my mind

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
Not sure what kind of riding you're planning on doing, but there is a reason that 90% of the "125" riders at the local tracks are on 250F's (and 99% in the pro ranks). Chances are you will be faster on the 250F for all of the reasons you have already mentioned (easier to hit the inside line and make a jump, easier to stay in the power, easier to hook up/get traction, more consistent/dependable power than a 2-stroke, etc.). I rode 125's for 4 years, and once I rode a 250F (2002), I jumped ship immediately and will never go back to a 125. I will still do a few laps on a 125 when given the opportunity, just for fun, but I would never race one again.

And when it comes to maintenance, just check your valve clearances, and keep them in spec, change your oil, clean your filter, etc. and you should be in good shape.

Mar 16, 2007
planning on track riding and racing 90% of the time, I agree with you and am basically sold on a 4t, only reason I was considering a 2t was that I was told and also read that riding a 2t will make you a better rider in the long run. and since I want to be the best rider I can be I was thinking of doing that. but I want a 4t for all the reasons you listed above. so I guess my question is, is it true riding a 2t will make you a better rider in the long run?

also the reasons you listed above seems to me riding a 4t will make you a better rider faster?

Top Bottom