JD_MXRacer

Nov 27, 2006
last year when i first joined and asked what bike i should get (btw im 5' 6'' and 120 lbs) everyone said a 125 2t. but now that i look at threads with people in my situation im hearing that 2t's are easier to maintain but 4t is the way to go because thats where the sport is going.

by the way i hear it 2t would be more for racing but not a lot of people have them anymore. i dont care if i get a 2t or a 4t but i want to be able to have fun and i am willing to learn to do the work a 4t needs. but as a first bike i think a 250 would be too much power

now im not starting a 2t vs. 4t debate but which one would be better for a first dirtbike for someone my size who will be racing almost every weekend

150rguy

I got fat bars!
Dec 21, 2006
Its not really you're size that decides if you get a 2t or a 4t, it's what you're going to be doing with the bike. If you're going to be competively racing then I would say get a 250F, but if you're going to be woods riding and do a little bit of racing, a 2 stroke or a 4 stroke are bothe good. 2 strokes are supposeed o be easier to ride, but I rode a YZ85 the other day and I didn't think that it was hard to ride (Other than the HUGE hit) I just thought it was harder to go fast on. As for the 4t maintenence, there is changing the oil which is easy, valve checking, not so easy and some other stuff.

rpm12505

~SPONSOR~
Sep 25, 2005
If you are a novice mx rider you made the right choice.There is far more untapped potential in the rider than the machine. Last year we watched an expert rider borrow a stock rm125 with 2 hours on it and still win his class :laugh: ( his 4 stroke had blown up) Get your suspension right an have at it :ride:

JD_MXRacer

Nov 27, 2006
so youre saying i should go with the 2t? i think thats what youre saying and thats what im gonna do probably.

150rguy

I got fat bars!
Dec 21, 2006
Are you going to be racing mostly?

Mar 16, 2007
i would say get a 125 2stroke. a 250 four stroke has alot more power than a 125. You can still be competitive on a 2 stroke. its mostly skill. some one in here always says 95% rider 5% bike which is true. me and my buddy are about the same skill level and i have a 125 he has a 250 4t and i can keep up with him, or should i say he can keep up with me! and hes on an 06 bike and im on a 94

rpm12505

~SPONSOR~
Sep 25, 2005
JD_MXRacer said:
so youre saying i should go with the 2t? i think thats what youre saying and thats what im gonna do probably.

Sorry under your screen name I saw kx125. Thought you had already made a purchase. And yes I thought a 2t would be your best choice as a novice mx'er.

HubertGarfunkleIII :worship:

JD_MXRacer

Nov 27, 2006
well i just got my bike yesterday. a 2004 kx 125!!! im so happy but i dont go to my aunts until may 10 so i cant ride it yet

150rguy

I got fat bars!
Dec 21, 2006
2 strokes for life said:
JD_MXRacer, must hurt to have a bike and not be able to ride it.

Yeah all you can do is stare at it sitting on a stand in the garage :(

JD_MXRacer

Nov 27, 2006
150rguy said:
Yeah all you can do is stare at it sitting on a stand in the garage :(

i cant even do that. its at my aunts who lives in west virginia. i go out there may 10 to get it and race there all summer

Top Bottom