Which pipe protector is good?

Engloid

Apr 4, 2004
I posted this a while back, but got no response.

I ride where it's a bit rocky. I want the toughest protector I can get. The Bonzai looks a bit thin, and the Moose is aluminum...

What are your experiences with these and other brands?

Where's the best place to buy?

Rhodester

May 17, 2003
frpoffroad.com has black fiberglass pipe guards for the FMF -30 as well as the -35 pipes. I have both. They are $55.00 and look quite strong and protective as well as reasonably light weight. I've never put them to the test by hitting anything significant. The fit is good and I would buy them again.

kdxluver

Feb 22, 2004
Pipe Protector

I bought a Eline pipe guard for my Gnarly Desert pipe. It works great. It is made of carbon fibre and looks really cool.... I have a couple of hard hits on it with just a few scratches to the guard. I give it a two thumbs up... :yeehaw:
Randy

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
You might check out:

http://www.dirtrider.net/forums3/showthread.php?p=771916#post771916

..from 4-23-04. Several responses to this same question.

Oh...that was the thread you got '..no response' to!! :think: The riders that did respond likely appreciate that point of view.

I use the FRP guard. It fits well. It gets kind of smelly when the bike is hot.

It's painted for diddle. One wash and the color was all gone. My repaint is holding up much better than what it came with. It would be even better if it was dyed.

Hard to say what it's protected the pipe from..you can't see the dents that aren't there because it worked.

Which is the point. Is does work. I have yet to be down on it real hard..but a couple of good knocks didn't touch the integrity of the piece.

It's rare for me to NOT ding my pipe on a fairly regular basis. Last time I saw Brett @ Pacific Crest Pipe Repair he said, 'It's you again!'

...maybe he knows me from someplace else? Yeah..that's it. :think:

The eline sure looks like a nice piece, and I doubt you can beat carbon fiber. The $$ is a bit high, though. Note the eline guard attaches using a clamp that passes through slots in the guard. That means you aren't looking at the clamp wrapping around the whole piece. Would hold it on more securely, too.

I'm not saying it's not worth $120..that's just a lot of $$ is all.

Last edited:

wibby

Mod Ban
Mar 15, 2003
and the Moose is aluminum...

It sure is!

Being prone to crashing a lot, I've put mine to the test a few times

I'm thinking that without it, those little chunks and scratches would probably be in my pipe

Wish I could encase the DR with that stuff!

Attachments

• moosepipearmor.jpg
    moosepipearmor.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 141
  • armor.jpg
    armor.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 145

Engloid

Apr 4, 2004
Probably, the reason I didn't see the replies before is because after 4 days of no reply, I quit checking it. It seems I can't find stuff very well by searching sometimes also. I do ok with yahoo and stuff like that but searching message forums doesn't seem to be my best thing.

Anyway....
I've got a gutted stock pipe, so I figure why bother with a $150 protector to protect a $40 part....

I was a bit concerned about the Moose, with it being aluminum, but it seems the guys that have it are pretty happy with it. For $40, I think I'll probably end up going with it. However, I'm not 100% decided. I'll look into the FRP. Where can I find it?

I'm still open to more opinions and info if anybody's willing to share them..

Rhodester

May 17, 2003
I bought my 200H used with an FMF pipe on it. The seller gave me the stock pipe (which I've never used) with a Devol aluminum guard on it. It has tiny dings all over it. It's designed with a slight space between the guard and the pipe, which is a good thing because it doesn't look like it would provide much protection from a significant hit. It probably is OK for small stuff that gets kicked up off of the front tire. I don't think FRP makes a guard for the stock pipe.

skipro3

Mod Ban
Dec 14, 2002
kdxluver said:
I bought a Eline pipe guard for my Gnarly Desert pipe. It works great. It is made of carbon fibre and looks really cool.... I have a couple of hard hits on it with just a few scratches to the guard. I give it a two thumbs up... :yeehaw:
Randy
Me too. Mine has paid for itself at least a couple times. Most recently when I flipped my 3 rail trailer and the bike came off. The rest of the bike looked like crap, but that pipe was fine.

Engloid

Apr 4, 2004
I'm having a hard time convincing myself that the fiberglass FRP guard will be stroget than the Moose...and the Moose is cheaper. I don't think I'll spend $150 on an eline

G. Gearloose

Pigment of ur imagination
Jul 24, 2000
I concur with wibby, the Moose is thick and beefy - its not soda can material.
You will curse how thick it is when you install it, then you can forget about it.

Add some globs of RTV on the inside and then then it dry overnight BEFORE installing, to eliminate metal-metal contact, wear and rattles.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom