Which Pipe?

garrettkite

May 26, 2002
I want to buy a pipe and silencer for my 01 KDX 220 and I've found some pretty good deals. I just don't know if I should go with Pro Circuit's Platinum Pipe($145 @ rockymountainmc.com) and Factory Sound Silencer($85 same place) or if I should go with the FMF Gold Series Gnarly Woods($165) and Power CoreII($85 same place). I ride mainly trails and woods. I don't care about the price i just want to get the better pipe/silencer for my type of riding. Thanks for any help.

GARRETT

Lew

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 27, 2001
I prefer the PC pipe. I have had both and feel the power delivery from the PC is more even. Plus, the PC pipe will fit right out of the box. As for the silencer just get one that is a spark arrestor too. If you decide on the FMF most people here prefer the KG30 (desert pipe) for the 220.
Lew

garrettkite

May 26, 2002
Thanks Lew,
I'm looking to get more low end power, does the PC pipe give that better than or comparable to the FMF? Also, does the FMF pipe fit right out of the box? Can you mix and match the pipe/silencer too? for example, an FMF pipe with a PC silencer? Sorry about all the ?'s, this is still all pretty new to me. Thanks, a lot for the help so far.

GARRETT

Lew

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 27, 2001
Both pipes felt basically the same for power. The PC feels smoother to me. I have not had an FMF product yet that fit right or wasn't missing parts. Yes you can mix and match. In fact I have the PC pipe and FMF turbine core 2 silencer.
Lew

davidg

Apr 30, 2002
The PC pipe and the FMF rev pipe are suppose give you better all around power. With more top end, and little less bottom end. If you want more bottom end, then go with the FMF (kg-35) woods pipe. You won't gain any top end, but you will get alot more bottom end. I have a 220 with the air box modified and the FMF woods pipe and spark arrestor. I love the bottom end pull, but that's just my opinion.

garrettkite

May 26, 2002
I don't really need a whole lot more bottom end power, I just ride mainly in the hills and I want more over all power. Right now I'm kind of leaning towards getting the PC pipe and silencer. Also, does anyone know what the difference is between the PC platinum pipe and the PC works pipe? Thanks.

GARRETT

Perk

~SPONSOR~
Sep 17, 2001
I think the finish? Anyone? As far as which FMF you would want, go for the KG-30/rev. Cannot comment on the PC though.

owenlo

Oct 28, 2001
I've riden with both the Gnarly and PC, my opinion the PC is by far the better pipe and their service AFTER the sale is awesome. Say a bracket happens to crack loose off your pipe, send it to PC and more than likely you will get a new one back in the mail. Do the same with FMF and you will get your old one back in the mail and not even fixed. Go figure???

My .02 worth. Obie #8 ;)

Speedy

Nov 12, 2001
Get th platinum one.. the works seems to rust if you dont spray wd-40 on it after washing or atleast dry the whole thing off. But once you take off the works pipe. where you couldnt reach with a rag to dry it off will be rusty. Thats what i heard anyways. Ive got a platinum pc pipe and my buddie has the fmf pipe. My bike looks way better with the pc pipe on!! hehe

garrettkite

May 26, 2002
Will the PC platinum pipe take away from the bottom end power that i already have? I don't really need anymore bottom end, but i want to maybe add a little or at least keep what i already have. Thanks.

GARRETT

cudmak

Mar 23, 2001
I just put on PC Plat pipe and kept the stock silencer. It works fine. Didn't even need to rejet, just had the needle clip moved up one notch to 2nd from top thereby dropping the needle slightly. This configuration works great for me up here in MN at roughly 700ft above sea level. It took some wiggling, but the PC pipe did go in without any grinding, modifying, etc. I didn't seem to lose any bottom end and did gain about 25% on mid to top. I can now do wheelies in 3rd with just the throttle, which I couldn't do very good before. I'm already thinking of my next mod, hmmm, maybe a carb bore. Gotta wait til winter on that one so I'm not out of a ride during prime season.

Seeya

baldtire

Mar 27, 2002
Garrett,
You will not loose any low end by installing the PC pipe and silencer. I got a PC pipe and silencer about 3 weeks ago and have put about 120 miles on the bike since then on tight woods, trails, fire roads, and MX tracks. It has given me plenty on low, mid, and high end power. You can not go wrong with the PC pipe.

garrettkite

May 26, 2002
Thanks for all of the help everyone. I think I will go with the PC platinum pipe and the PC factory sound silencer.

fuzzy

~SPONSOR~
Jul 26, 2002
My PC pipe w/ the stock silencer is pretty loud compared to the stock pipe. I think the stock pipe actually has matting in it?

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Factory sound silencer?

...and you ride mainly trails and woods?

The factory unit isn't a spark arrestor, is it?

Riding in the woods without one is irresponsible.

Last time I rode through the bitterroot mountains, I couldn't see a thing due to the smoke from out of control forest fires, so I'm sure you know why a spark arrestor is a good thing.

garrettkite

May 26, 2002
Canycarvr,
I didn't realize that you need the spark arrestor if you ride in the woods. I've never really known what the spark arrestor does compared to a normal silencer. I guess I should look into finding a little bit more out on each of them before I buy one or the other. Thanks

uoof1

Mar 25, 2002
I can offer a little insight today because I went the other way with pipes. I removed a pro circuit pipe and spark arrestor, and replaced them with the stock unit. THe stock pipe is less noisey, it sounds like a trials bike now. low end is a little better, mid range is close, and top end is much weaker. My bike has stock jutting, when the Pro Circuit went on it needed a little fine tuning, but never got it.

One other advantage to the Pro Circuit is that it weighs about half what the stock pipe weighs.

Also my Pro circuit pipe did not have any Orings in the lands as the stock pipe does. Are Orings used on the Pro Circuit? Do these burn out after a while? I like the Pro Circuit pipe, but wife prefers the stock set up. If you are doing all tight woods riding, I think I would prefer the stock pipe as well.

Canadian Dave

Super Power AssClown
Apr 28, 1999
Yes you should install the o-ring with any pipe, stock, PC, FMF, Doma etc etc. If exhaust gasses are leaking from around the cylinder to pipe connection you will be loosing a noticeable amount of power. Many people will install the o-rings then run a bead of silicone around them and install the pipe to ensure they have a good leak proof fit.

David

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…