KAY DEE EXER

~SPONSOR~
Mar 3, 2003
I recall reading a post about what piston (brand) works best with what engine. But..... I can't find it. Is there a general consensus on whether Pro-X or Wiseco is better for a 98 200 KDX? As I recall Pro-x for the 200 and Wiseco for the 220. Am I close? Thanks guys and safe riding. :thumb:

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Just 'cuz I said it don't make it right. Make your own informed decision and you'll be happier.

That's the theory, anyway. ;)

My preference for the 200 is a Pro-X for a number of reasons. They are available in different sizes to fit your bike. True, .0005" (The difference between the alpha designations) isn't a great big deal, but as long a you're taking the time to rebuild your bike, why not get what fits?

Wiseco doesn't offer that.

For whatever reason, the oem piston in the 220 just seems to keep having problems. That's generally why Wiseco is the choice in that case.

BTW...if you order a piston from Kawi you won't have the choice of which size Pro-X you get. Generally it will be a 'B' in the box. You will need to order it from a Pro-X source to get the alpha designations. There is a chart listed on the forum with part numbers for different sizes. I'll try to sneak in another chart...not really decent to take up the space, but a quick search didn't find it and I don't have it bookmarked.

**edit***
I can't waste the space.
CLICK HERE for the chart.

It's in post#12.

**edit summore**

In the above thread the subject of discussion is an '89 200, and the chart displayed in that thread is noted as applicable for that year. It's the same piston/chart for an 'H' model. If you have any question, verify the PNs thru Pro-X's website here.

Choose your own make/model/year.

Last edited:

KAY DEE EXER

~SPONSOR~
Mar 3, 2003
canyncarvr said:
Just 'cuz I said it don't make it right.
I'm yet to receive "WRONG" or misguided information from you CC. I believe everything you have answered for me is very well thought out, informative and I'm very sure, well researched and / or tested. I may sound like a "SUCK" by saying that but CC you are an absolute asset to this site and the dirtbike community. I know I have said it before and I will probably say it again, Canyncarvr "You are the MAN" :worship: Thanks for all you help mate. There are alot of people that make this site so informative and enjoying. So I would also like to thank everyone who has put their time and effort into helping others like myself on this site. (I don't want anyone to feel left out.) All you guys ROCK ! ! :aj: Thanks tREV

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Nah, that can't be!

In the words of some others:
In certain area's (a reference to 'the green room') there seems to be a group that doesn't much participate with the rest of the community. It seems that it is like a different world there, where you can post bad info and the like, without any checks and balances as the rest of the forums have.

Or....
I would have to agree that the Green Room is a bit of a mess. It's information has become unreliable on a few topics. For myself, when I want to learn something about my bike I go anywhere EXCEPT the KDX forum. I think those guys treat that forum as their home (which is fine), but a little too often they go on the defensive when their opinions are challenged by an 'outsider'.

Don't misunderstand. The above doesn't apply to me, so it chafes not a whit. Hey...and if you think it does, well you're just wrong! (Thassa joke, son)

The point is that opinions concerning piston choice vary. I'm not a Wiseco fan, that doesn't mean their pistons aren't any good.

Anyway, you're welcome!

andrew

Aug 7, 1999
I didn't like the Wiseco in my '96 200. I found the wrist pin to be very tight, and even harder to get out than it was to get in (some may say thats a good thing, I don't know). Also, same wrist pin seemed to be a smidgen too long; 'twas a bugger of a job to get the last circlip into it's groove. In fact, I had to brace the piston on the opposite side, and use a sharp screwdriver as a punch to get it seated correctly. NEVER AGAIN ! Pro-X from now on.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom