sidewayz

Sep 6, 2006
well i was out at my track yesterday and my buddy was teaching one of my other buddies to seat bounce. he got it down kind of but while he was learning there was another kid who did a seat jump kind of thing.... he stood up right before he hit the jump and in the air got his front tire up then he tucked and got his back end up. he was out jumping my buddy by a whole lot. and i was just wondering what yall think cause i almost dont weigh enough to make the suspension compress.... which way is better

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
Do you mean something like this?

http://themxtrack.com/Gomer_1981.jpg

If so, what I did there was remain standing all the way up the jump and lean way forward to balance the fact that you are full throttle. Once in the air the bike should naturally level out and you help it by pushing the bars down and pulling your legs up to let the rear end ride up under you.

Seat bouncing, on the other hand, is when you stay seated and your weight compresses the suspension some, rebounding on takeoff to make you fly higher, and therefore farther. You should only seat bounce when you are already doing everything you can with full throttle and it still isn't enough to make the jump, otherwise you are wasting time in the air by flying higher than necessary.

When you say he was "outjumping" your friend, do you mean farther, higher, lower, ... ?

adam728

Aug 16, 2004
I've seen guys use the technique you describe, it's almost like doing a bunny hop on a bicycle. It expends much more energy than a seat bounce, and accomplishes basically the same thing. A proper seat bounce should get you a little more lift though, as you can compress the suspension more by throwing your arse down on it.

Top Bottom