Which Thumper for yzguy15 (KTM or CRF)?

yzguy15

Sprayin tha game
N. Texas SP
Oct 27, 2000
I'm 17 years old with considerable riding experience. I have been racing cross country and hare scrambles in the 250 amateur class for 2 years now, with decent results as of late. Finally cracked the top 10 with a 9th in the last race before I was injured, and I was in 4th place when I went down and dislocated my shoulder (albeit, it was early in the race). That being said, I want out of the class and have longed for a change in my bike for a while. I'm tired of getting smoked so easily on certain parts of the track like straights and sandy corners. I've ridden 4 strokes and I know how much better they tract through a deep sand corner, it's unreal. That being said, I do not like the YZ 450F because of the rip your arms off hit. It is no fun to ride to me. The only way I would go that route is if I run into a once off insane deal and can get it dirt cheap, which I'm not seeing happening. What I am considering are the CRF450s and KTM 450/525 exc (maybe mxc?). The KTM has an advantage over the CR because of the estart (very important when the 8 race winter series and 2 of the 14 race summer series have Dead Engine Start) and when you stall during the race. I wouldn't rely solely on the estart, but whilst racing it seems like it would be wonderful. The disadvantage I see to the KTM is the weight. All I do know is that they are listed at 260 lbs, and that is a whole frickin lot of weight. The CRF's are fun to ride, and easy to ride. I loved it on the 9 mile cross country track I rode it on with a mix of sand, hardpack and a little rocks. Also, I have never ridden a KTM. Is there a possibility that I could even get a real feel from one by just sitting on it? I just had shoulder surgery this morning (the 25th) and wouldn't be able to test one out prior to buying. I think that if I make an informed enough decision and maybe get my dad to take a spin on one that will be ok though. I want toget back to racing as soon as possible when I can (provided that my bike sells, sheesh) after my 5 month recovery.

BTW, this bike will need to do it all in a woods type environment. Tight trails, wide trails, hills both up and down, rocks, big rocky hills, straights, grasstrack, you name it we ride it. The only thing I don't care about is mx. I dont give a hoot how it performs on the track, because I don't ride them.

CR Swade

~SPONSOR~
Jan 18, 2001
The KTM450...hands down. See the thread on ultimate KTM . Plus the 450EXC will treat your shoulder way better than the 525 or CRF ever would in the woods. Wide open spaces, tight Meunster stuff, MX style turns, White Rock mountainous stuff, grass track, trail plunkin' or wide open it will do it all. These bikes are amazing :thumb:

yzguy15

Sprayin tha game
N. Texas SP
Oct 27, 2000
The weight still scares me though. 260 lbs is really really heavy. Can you just not feel it when you ride? Is there any of that stuff like lighting coil that you could strip off and help it lose some weight? And, if you did lose the lighting coil and lights to lose weight, would it be easily put back on in case I ever wanted it for whatever reason (lights, or maybe some of those cool grip warmers for winter)? Thanks cr swade, that was a great post, very helpful. Both of em actually :thumb:

CR Swade

~SPONSOR~
Jan 18, 2001
The weight doesn't become apparent, unless you are jumping off of a 125 onto the 450. If you are used to the top-heavy feeling of a YZF, you can forget all about the traits of that bike as the Katoom and the CRF both handle w/ a much crisper feel (I don' t like top heavy bikes, even if they turn sharp when ridden aggressive). The combination of sharp turning, weight carried very low, and crisp engine performance make the 450 handle circles around the old 400/520's, the YZF's being rivaled only by the CRF which is a little short-breathed and hyper for the woods and slop.

Honestly, the 03 Katooms RFS handle beter than my 01 CR250 did, by far...and I luvvvved that bike.

BTW, I changed to the U-rims from DID. The stockers were heavy with tree trunk spokes. Now for 04 they have gone ot Excel, so I am not sure of the weight. You could pull off the headlight, computer, tailight assy saving a few pounds. The new two-into-one exhaust is supposed to be much lighter (last years was a porker-the Lafferty Big Gun shaved off close to 6 lbs!)

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom