Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
Heading up to Lake Charlevoix this weekend with the family. Wife says "Maybe you can bring the dirtbikes and see if there are any trails up there." :eek:

Faster than you can type http://www.dnr.state.mi.us/spatialdatalibrary/pdf_maps/trail_maps/orv/tomahwkn.pdf, I'm there checking out the Tomahawk trail systems (loops A, B, and C).

Loop B appears to be the closest to Charlevoix, but I'm looking for the easiest loop to take Zach on (age 9, XR-70). Looking for maybe 40 miles or so. And are all the Tomahawk trails two-way, in case we need to head back?

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
B has a nice turn off. At least when the CCC held their ride up there. C would be very tough for him. Tomohawk general is a very tough trail system! Matt my side kick. You meet him @ trailfest. Suggested riding Grand Traverse trails do the 1st "13 miles" or 2nd loops "23 miles", #3  is very tight and sandy with large hills. Plus parking sucks, for #3.

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
Thanks Marlin...

Would Grand Traverse be about the same distance as Tomahawk? Trying to minimize the travel time/maximize the riding time. Can't "be away" for too long...

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
Ya, I saw the weather. If Sunday is still looking close to 40 and partly sunny, we'll do it. It'll be brisk, but we won't be riding fast.

KTM Mike

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 9, 2001
Bill

I dont have my map book handy here (its out in cold motorhome...i am inside where its nice and comfy warm!)  and I cant recall which loop is a vs b vs c ....but the more northerly loop (closer towards Indian River) might be your best bet for wife and kids ride.  the other two have some more technical sections in them (I like both my self).  Personally, I find the northern one a bit - well...not particularily exciting - but it might be just dandy for wife and kids sorta thing. 

Man i wish I could ride this weekend - last chance before huntin season!  Alas I promised my kid I would sit through a sno mo saftey class with them on Sat, and I have a work thing goin on on Sunday. 

Top Bottom