jeffg13

Dec 10, 2002
I am completely new to riding and it sounds like the TT-R will be a good bike to start out on. (If I should start out with something different let me know). I am 18, 140, 5'8'', and have no experience. I am wondering whether to start with the TT-R 125L or go with a larger TT-R.

Thanks,
Jeff

pbajeff

Nov 18, 2002
The TTRL is a little bit bigger than the TTR. The L has larger wheels and disc brakes. If you are looking to get new, my personel opinion would be to go with the Honda CRF150. It has better suspension and it is about the same price. Plus - it is a Honda!! That is my personel pick, I looked at and compared the TTRL to the CRF for several months before deciding on the CRF for my 14 year old. If this is to be your first bike, I would go with used, just to keep down the initial expense. Plus you are going to go down on it and it does not hurt quite as bad on a used as a new. You can find some used TTRs pretty reasonable. The CRF is new for the 03 year and there are not any used ones to be had yet.

jacobone

Feb 3, 2003
i ride a ttr125l and it rocks but you are a bit larger then me so i would go for the 225 its bigger and faster just what you nee

truespode

Moderator / Wheelie King
Jun 30, 1999
Do NOT choose the TTR225. It is too big and heavy. The only thing it has is a decent seat height but you can get that from the DRZ250 as well and it is a much easier machine to ride. It is not as wide as the TTR 225 for sure.

I know of many people who are cool with the 225 but they would ride a lot better (and safer) on an XR200.

Ivan

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
a big question is how aggressive are you. If you have the tendency to be more aggresive in sports the ttrl will quickly be to lacking in power at your age and size. I have a ttrl125 and it is great to play with and my 14 yr old has a great time on it as a break from his CR125 but if you really want to try MX on it it won't work.
Decide what you anticipate doing riding wise- MX or trails or enduros and then we can probably steer you a bit better

woods_rider1

Sep 27, 2001
I think you are a bit big for a TTR 125/L, my 11 year old has one and we are thinking he may out grow it in a year or so. My personal opinion is to look at the new CRF 230. Please, DO NOT think about the TTR 225, my wife has one and I can tell you it is a undersuspended PIG. That is one heavy bike! It has mellow power for learning on, and will lug up anything, but that is about it! I personally think the CRF is a lot more bike with a lot less weight.

jeffg13

Dec 10, 2002
thanks for your input everyone. Yeah, the more i look at it it seems I don't want the TT-R225, definately too much weight. I mostly plan on riding trails if that gives you any better idea of what i should start out on.

beer_stud_76

Mod Ban
Aug 30, 2002
jeff -

no. the yz125 id a terrible idea! only slightly worse is the TTR225 idea.

you're 5'8" a buck forty, and 18...i'm guessing you'll fill out some in the next year or two.

with that in mind i'd say you're tall enuf for any bike you want. some bikes are heavier than others, but at 18 you're young enuf so it doesn't matter much.

i say if you want a TTR, get the 250. great bike. very simple. if you want something a bit more agressive you could try a YZF/WR250. niether of these bikes is a perfect beginner bike, but you wouldn't be bored with it after a month either.

if you want a honda i'd get an XR250. the 250 is a bit more of a man's bike than the 230. the 150 is just flat out too small.

you have to answer a bunch of questions before you make a choice on a bike. what type of riding? what type of terrain? what kind of physical condition are you in? are you brave or fear ridden? how much money do you have to spend? etc...

jeremiah
answer those questions and we'll give you more specific advice.

jeffg13

Dec 10, 2002
alright here are some more specifics. I plan on mostly riding at an offroad park, Haspin Acres, for those of you in Indiana. I would consider myself to be in very good physical condition, I am very athletic. I plan on mostly doing trail riding but i want something that can handle the jumps. I want something that will be good for me to start out on and that I won't be tired with for at least a year. My budget is $3000. Hope this helps and thanks for all the input already.

Jeff

jacobone

Feb 3, 2003
i also ride my dads IT !75 he got it for 800$ he got an 88 put on a new chain and lowered the gearing to a crawl it can now rip small trees out by the roots for a used bike it works great pluse it has tons of travel for jumps and whatever

beer_stud_76

Mod Ban
Aug 30, 2002
jeffg13 -

in that case i'd say pass on the XR250. you can get a hell of a bike for 3 grand if you buy used. for agressive trail riding and some jumping and not getting bored in a year i'd say look for a YZF/WR250. these bikes are tall, and might be a bit scary so you'll want to make sure you have a goob big open space (with a soft deck, like grass or dirt) to putz around and learn on.

like i said, its not ideal to LEARN on so be ready to get scared a few times. if you can get a few rides on a smaller boring bike first (even an XR100) to learn the basics, you'll be fine. if not just wear lots of padding your first time out.

jeremiah

woods_rider1

Sep 27, 2001
I am surprised no one has mentioned the KDX. How much more user friendly can you get? Stone reliable, willing to go anywhere you have the nads to point it at, and smoooooooooooooth power delivery. When you get a bit more confident, a few mods can be made to wake it up and put a smile on your face. AWESOME bike for trail riding!

ForestThump

Feb 6, 2003
the wr250f is in a different class than the ttr's. it's got more muscle. a great, fast bike for the woods. for a beginner? depends on how fast you'll be catching on and what kind of rider you want to be (aggressive and fast?). best to look at other forums for more info on this bike. if you start with this bike, it'll be a handfull at first. if you keep with it and like it, it'll be a while (if ever) before you outgrow this bike.

sluggerjoe

Dec 1, 2002
I don't know what would be wrong with a YZ125, to be honest. If you are willing to mix gas and do a little more maintenance, you will have a bike that may scare you a little at first but you have something that will grow with you, not hold you back. Most 18 year old kids want something that will rip, not a putt putt. If this describes you, go for it. You'll outgrow a TTR 250 in five rides.

1st choice: WR250 it'll do it all well

2nd choice (a): KDX200 (if you want a trail bike first and foremost)

2nd choice (b): YZ125 (if you want to fly a little and MX it)

MOST IMPORTANT: Buy Gear! Good, light helmet, 2 prs goggles, Gloves, Boots, pants and a very good idea for beginners and a must for trail riders: Bark Busters. Don't skimp on gear, you'll regret it.

Rich250F

Jun 11, 2002
I support SluggerJoe, the WR250 is your best option. You could probably scoop one up used for around 3 ger. I started on a TTR225 and regret the time and money wasted. Next I got a DRZ250, loved this bike a lot, great power and fast. Now I have a KX250, I wanted to ride MX, and jump. I would suggest no less then a DRZ250, but a WR250 is the best choice. Think ahead, you will continue to grow and add weight for around 3 more years. If you out grow your bike in a year, then you lost your money and have to start all over. It is better to have to much at first and adjust, then too little and be forced to settle.

kx_guy86

Feb 6, 2003
There is something that I just don't understand. I'm 16 now and have a KX 125. When I was 14 I got my first bike...................a YZ 125. I took a day to learn to ride, then after that slowly started going faster. Someone your age should be wanting fast. in my opinion as long as you take the time to learn how to operate it first there should be no problem with a 125 MX bike or even a 250. You just have to be careful until you know your bike! Happy riding! :)

Top Bottom