who started racing late?

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
i saw in another thread that sir thumper started racing at age 31. i started racing mx at age 27. i'm 42 now and still racing. any other late starters here?

Well I'm 21 almost (cringe) 22 and I haven't raced yet. Hopefully I can get into some sort of racing in the next year. I know I'm not fast, but I will get faster if I have something to judge against, right?:cool:

Wow and I thought I was a late starter. I'm 18 and plan on entering my first race this summer if they hold a few.

I actually read somewhere that Dowd didn't start racing tell he was somewhere between 16-18 which is pretty late for a pro!

Last edited:
I just started racing [HS and Enduros] this year, at age 34. I've only ridden dirt bikes since last year, so I'm learning quite a bit as I go along, [as well as developing numerous bruises in new and interesting places].

When I got to my first race, I was suprised - huge number of 30-40 folks.

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
I started in '97, at around age 28. But I've been riding for a long time. I decided to wait 'til I had a good job with decent insurance:cool:

KDX1

Mod Ban
late starter

I got bitten by the racing bug about a year ago. Ever since I was old enough to want a dirt bike, my parents would not give in because they thought it was too dangerous. So about two years ago I bought my first bike, a 95 XR25R. It was a great frist bike to learn on. I had that bike for almost a year when I wanted to get a 2 stroke because I like the power they make.I bought a 00 KDX 200. I rode this bike until I got comfortable with it and then found out about the GNCC series. I raced my first race last summer. It was great, the people, the atmosphere and just being there was a lot of fun. I'm almost 32 and wished I had done this a lot sooner. I tell people that I'm reliving my childhood. I don't plan to quit any time soon either.

AMA member
00 KDX 200

Late Bloomers

Last fall (Sept, 2000) I entered my first ever sanctioned event, at 31 years old. It was a SuperTT (Super Motard) race in Bakersfield, CA. I was immediately hooked. I now race in the SuperTT series, CRC MXs, OTHG MXs and my true calling... Road Racing with CCS (Championship Cup Series) The cool thing about the CCS racing is.... I'm doing it on my CR-500 (converted for Super Motard) and winning against the pure roadracers, on TZ 250s, NSR 250s, RS 125s, R-6s, SV-650s, CBR 600s, GSXR 600s, etc.... This is truly a blast. I started roadracing in Feb, so far I've entered 25 races (about 5 classes per race weekend) and my finishes are: 1 sixth place, 1 fifth place, 5 fourth places, 5 third places, 5 second places, and 8 wins.

Tony Williams

Lifetime Sponsor
34 years young

I started MX at age 34 in the fall of 1996, riding a 1986 IT-200 Yamaha.

Currently racing Vet Novice to Intermediate, and looking forward to being eligible for the +40 classes next spring.

MX265

Sponsoring Member
I started racing when I was 14. Raced till I was 18. Got my bike stolen. :( I met the girl who is now my wife. :) No time, (or money) to replace the bike. :( I am now 30. I just bought my first bike (2001 KX250) in nearly 12 years this January. :) I will be racing in a few months. It's good to be back. And boy is my wife happy that I can finally stop saying "God, do I miss Racing!" :D So yes, I am a late Re-starter.

Andy

nikki

Moto Junkie
Andy - cool story! I threw my leg over my first bike at the age of 18 and started racing at 18 too (in '98). :confused: It really makes me feel good when I can beat girls that started racing on 50's and 60's... and I always wish that I could have started earlier - but... as they say:

Better late than never!!!! :)

Don't laugh, I don't feel this old

I'm 41, got my 1st mx bike last year. Havn't done the 1st race yet but been practicing on some tracks and doing pretty well I'd say, till I broke some ribs a few months ago. I'm healed up now and trying to get into better shape to keep up with all the young folk out there. I practiced this week at village creek and wasn't the slowest one out there:) but I bet I was the most tired. ;)

Rooster

Today's Tom Sawyer
Damn Yankees
36, haven't raced yet!! But I've ridden on and off for 12 years. 20 years if you include the neighbors Yamah 175 enduro.

First SX at age 34. Beginner open class. The first moto I DNF with a busted right knee, badly twisted neck, and two ribs seperated from my spine. The second moto I finished 3rd out of 5 riders. I'll admit that it's hell when you line up against 16 and 17 year-olds whose daddy bought them their bikes, and who don't have to go to work on Monday. My best finish ever was an 8th place out of 10 riders. I still enjoy it and don't plan on stopping anytime soon. Confused:confused: maybe.

SirThumper

Lifetime Sponsor
I did start a lot later than I always wanted to. I can remember at age 5 asking my dad for a motorcycle, he said that when I was 7 he would buy me one... at age 16 I got my first bike, it was a 79 Yamaha IT 250. I didn't have any friends that rode bikes so I pretty much just cruised around some backwoods of Texas. The closest I ever got to climb a big hill there was built by a front-loader:) .

I always dreamed of racing but never had the bike, parent intrest, friends, or the money to do it. After moving here to Idaho I rebuilt an old 79 chevrolet 4x4, painted it and dressed it up real sharp. My dad was proud of the work I had done on it, and so was I considering that I bought it for $500. I drove the truck for a year and blew 2 engines in it while I had it:p I remember the day I sold it, my dad was so mad at me I had to hide out for a while cause I took the money and bought me a 96 XR600. He didn't say much because I was my own man by then.

Previously I had owned some used bikes like an 79 DR370, 84 XR500, but I had never had a new bike. Finally I did. I ride the mountains, woods, dunes and a ton of other country around here but I still always wanted to race MX.

When the Yamaha 400 came out, and all the Mags said you could take one out of the woods and ride it competitively on the track I had to have one. I took the XR and left with a WR 400. I gained an so much speed I couldn't believe it, the bike was faster than my 600 yet lighter and had the best suspension I ever had.

A friend talked me into going to the races one day and then talked me into racing... He kept saying "your good on a bike man" , " I know you'll do good". I had never been on a MX track my whole life before that day, had never jumped a double jump, had never jumped a bike more than 20 ft or so ever (on purpose). Well I went for it in practice and was just going to match pace with someone and man did I ever blow it... I dove into the inside rut of a berm underneath a coulple guys that went to the outside and I did not get enough drive up the jump, and a guy behind me did and he landed right on me. That was almost enough to get my to say enough, but not quite. I ended up crashing again (bad) on the first lap and that was it practice was over:( With my back all tore up from being landed on and not being able to get enough air to breathe I was still determined to race.

Moto 1
"Hole shot" I led the race for a 1/4 lap and that was it, I was hooked on MX. I finished the race without going down and ended up in 6th out of 15. I didn't race the second moto, I had nothing left, my family wanted me to go to the hospital and get my back checked out, but I would not go. I did have a concusion and was forced not to race by my friends and family there.

Since then, 7 races, 6 trophies. ( 1 win ):)

Last edited:

JPIVEY

Sponsoring Member<br>Club Moderator
In Oct I will be 48, in Sept I will race my first race since 1972