Who stops riding due to the summer heat?

JasonRan

Jun 6, 2005
Just curious...I live in Alabama and it gets downright hot here in the summertime! To me, it's impossibe to ride in full gear when it is 90+ degrees. I pretty much put up the KDX from mid-May to around mid-September and ride my road bike (bicycle). Just wondering if anyone else has to do the same thing and what you do in the "off season" to stay in shape. I know that by September, I am really ready to get back on the KDX. :ride:

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
In Texas, we ride before noon.

Wudscrasher

Jan 17, 2006
In Colorado, we can ONLY ride our mountain trails from May to September (maybe longer at low elevations)! I know the track guys ride all year long, tho'. If it's 100° in Denver or Grand Junction, it's a pleasant 70°-80° at 10,000'+ up. No complaints here...

droopie69

Aug 19, 2002
JasonRan said:
Just curious...I live in Alabama and it gets downright hot here in the summertime! To me, it's impossibe to ride in full gear when it is 90+ degrees. I pretty much put up the KDX from mid-May to around mid-September and ride my road bike (bicycle). Just wondering if anyone else has to do the same thing and what you do in the "off season" to stay in shape. I know that by September, I am really ready to get back on the KDX. :ride:

Same thing here in Memfrica. We may only ride once or twice from June til September. Just depends on if we get a rainy weekend and it cools off some.

Roland C

~SPONSOR~
Nov 20, 2002
Our riding season is only from May to September. Sometimes April to October depending on the year.

Masterphil

DRN's Resident Lunatic
Aug 3, 2004
Here in southern indiana, it's not the heat that bothers you, it's the damn humidity. On a mid-summer day here, you walk outside and can hardly breath. I ride year round, rain/snow/heat whatever. I actually ride more days when it's sub-50 than I do when it's 70+ outside.

DWreck

~SPONSOR~
Apr 14, 2002
It's tough when temperatures get into the mid 90's.

Early morning or late evening is about the only time I can stand it. If I gear up, ride non stop till I get back to the truck, peel off the gear and go back to shorts and t-shirt get a drink, load up and call it a day I'm ok.

Its the rest stops that will kill you.

Ryan12833

Mar 4, 2006
last year it was 85+ most of the time and i was out almost everyday at 3pm riding for about an hour. So the only time i stop is from october to april.

JasonRan

Jun 6, 2005
Another problem with riding in the south during the summer time is the fact that a lot of the trails get so grown over with trees and weeds and stuff. There are also a lot of snakes, spiders, and ticks to contend with. I rode one day last summer, got home, took off my shirt and had three huge spider bites on my neck. I knew I was riding through webs all day, but I just figured that they would fly off. It really sucks when you are the first one on the trail and have to break all the webs. Those suckers must be busy at night!!! I love riding in the winter time mostly...I guess I will just park it for the summer soon. I might be able to get in a ride this weekend as it is supposed to only be in the 70's!

karlp

Nov 13, 2001
Come on, Jason, the toxins in spider bites are supposed to be good for you.
I ride all year, down in Mobile.
I guess you get a better apreciation for the cool weather that way.
Proper riding gear is a bit of a problem. I haven't found a really good pair of riding pants for the hot weather. My last pair was advertised as "Sahara Gear" and cost ~$180. I can't tell the difference between them and my Fox MX pants. My old High Point pants, though, they are like wearing pajamas with a leather seat. Not much protection, but cool.

If you get to Mobile, we'll take a loop

Karl

OldDirtKDX

~SPONSOR~
Dec 14, 2004
Hot, Cold I don't care! I just want to ride my little KDX! Got back into riding and racing at 50 and do it every chance I get. At 51 it takes about a full 70 oz. Camelback for a race of 40-45 miles. You sweat so much it actually begins to cool you due to the wet gear. And I wear full gear as I can't afford to get hurt to badly. We have a crazy fun race here in So. Cal. at Lucerne in the Mojave Desert June 10th & 11th . It's called the "MELTDOWN" it gets up into the low 100's! Hot and Dry. More DNF's due to dehydration than bike failures.But, it pays district 37 points both days and Best In The Desert points on Sunday. So you get to race 2 days in row. Hot fun in the summer!

KDX CRAZY

Sep 22, 2005
I am lucky here in SA it averages between 50 and 60 midday in winter and 80 to 90 midday in summer so I can ride all year round ( when the wife allows me ) .

kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
Sorta makes me appreciate those studded tires that I'm forced to use in the winter, to make a year round riding season here in NW WI! :nod:

JasonRan

Jun 6, 2005
Karl,

My in-laws are in Jackson, Alabama...about an hour north of Mobile. We make it down there quite a bit, so I may try and hook up with you some time. I was in Mobile in February for my brother in laws wedding. We were only there for 2 days though and I was dirt-bike-less for that trip. I'll let you know if I make it down to South Alabama. :ride:

notenuftoys

Sep 3, 2004
From another Texan, I take July and August off from riding (but at least we can ride the rest of the year!). Being a desk jockey working in air conditioning all day, I don't take heat very well. And I'm an native Texan, just getting soft in my old age.

Green Hornet

Apr 2, 2005
In NY Summer Hot & Humid. Like Florida w/Oak Trees-ARGGHHH
I will go out around 5-6pm & ride till just before dust. In the heat of the day, I can not take any more. Too old for that crapppppp

Yamadad

Jul 17, 2005
Early AM to noon only. I live on the coast where the summer temps rarely are over 80, but inland where you ride will easily go well over triple digits. If you're used to it, it's easier, but otherwise it can be very dangerous.

Locally we had a rider who went into the back country by himself with no water. It was supposed to be only a quick ride, but it was hotter than he expected. The best anyone could tell was he got very dehydrated and the crashed on a technical part of the trail, got back on his bike and died. His body was found sitting on his bike the next day by search crews. (It was propped up against a rock)

dante

Mar 24, 2004
in the california desert I can't ride for more tan about 45 minutes...as soon as the sun comes up, it's crazy hot...
Some of these D37 guys actually race!!!! I could'nt do that, those guys are knarly...

GabeM

Apr 17, 2002
In TN I stop riding in the hot months, too humid here for that. I take the boat out after Memorial day and don't get the bikes out again till September. I may go to Westpoint for a day and park by the creek if it's hot this is a great place to soak your body after a hot loop. Also a good place for the kids to swim and mess around while the big boys take a fast run.

MY KDX 220 R

Feb 9, 2005
I too live in the Mid-South, I work costruction every day of the week, almost. If I get the chance to ride, I ride. Dedication to the sport.
The weather does not bother me or my son. "Harden - up"
Drink alot of fluids, know your limits, enjoy the fact that you are out there to enjoy yourself.
Keep it real, - Stop Whining!!!!!

Top Bottom