Why a 4 stroke for Trail Riding?

Rob_43

Apr 7, 2001
I have a serious question here. I currently own a 4 stroke bike and I like it alot but I want to know why they are considered the best for "trails" or joyriding? I dont race or jump I just like to get on and ride hard, I dont want it to sound like I am not aggressive because I push my bike as hard as I can when I ride I just try to keep the wheels on the dirt :). I dont know alot about bikes but I know that my bike weighs a ton which I dont really like but what is the great benefit of a 2 stroke that weights 35 lbs less?

I bought a four stroke because where I ride it is quiet so I like my stealth stock pipe I also do not know how to do top ends/bottom ends etc. I am really wanting answers here. I am not trying to start a battle over 2 vs 4. I just want to know the pros and cons of a 4 for playriding over a 2?

Any input would be greatly appreciated. My biggest complaint about my bike is the weight other than that I think it is great! (just an FYI)

Last edited:

SpeedyManiac

Aug 8, 2000
Four-strokes usually have a heavier fly-wheel weight, and just the design gives them good low-end and excellent lugability. Two-strokes are usually designed your MX and therefore need to be able to rev quick, so they have less weight added to the flywheel, but this makes them more prone to stalling and they also will not lug. Another thing is that most thumpers do not have a big 'hit' like a two-stroke, making them easier to control in the woods.

Rob_43

Apr 7, 2001
Makes sense. Thanks

I recently went to the big motorcycle park in my area and I did a quick count. While drinkin my water in preparation for my big day I was sittin on the back of the truck. I wanted to just go to 100

I saw 100 two strokes go flying by and 7 four strokes. This place was loaded with two strokers that is why I asked this question. Maybe I was missing something owning a 4 stroke. The place I went to is Trails. I thought I would have seen alot more thumpers, I was surprised.

Again thanks for the input. :)

ktmfan

Apr 21, 2001
I don't think it is as easy as 4 stroke or 2 stroke.

I have a 01 520 EXC it is a awesome bike but it has a few drawbacks for tight trails, it has too much power, when you want to go fast between turns etc.. it is tough to hang on to, it will go slow or fast but in between is not there when you are on tight trails and want to be a little aggresive.
it is the perfect bike for open trails, desert and anywhere you want to go really fast. my answer was to buy a 200EXC 2 stroke for tight and keep my 520 EXC for open stuff.
The 200 EXC is perfect for tight or fast trails, but for long sustained speed like desert you have to be on or off the pipe in a 2 stroke where the 4 stroke would be easier to ride at a constant speed.

So last it depends on you, a DRZ400 can do tight woods the motor is a little more subtle than the 520 and it can do desert constant throttle stuff. It just might not be as fast in the woods as the 200 EXC can be or pure power and speed as a 520 EXC is. I am crazy enough to want both, my opinion is your is a great compomise if you do not want to buy both.

WoodsRider

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
Personally, I prefer 2-strokes for off-road/woods type riding. They are more difficult for beginners to control. However, once you master clutch and throttle control, you can go anywhere a 4-stroke can go, usually faster too. The added bonus of a 2-stroke is lighter weight and easier starting. Although the new KTM 4-strokes are definitely making a challenge in this arena.

As for noise emission, having conducted sound tests, KTM 2-strokes with the factory pipe and silencer are the quietest off-road bikes out there aside from trials bikes, which are also 2-strokes. I always get a chuckle out of 4-stroke owners who install those obnoxiously loud exhaust systems, yet complain about 2-strokes being too loud. :scream:

With that being said, I'm looking forward to the new crop of 4-strokes looming on the horizon. Maybe one day I'll buy another one. For now, I'll stick to 2-strokes, thank you very much. :cool:

CRX

Jun 3, 1999
Four strokes have several advantages for trail riding. One of the important ones that haven't been mentioned yet is gas milage. A four stroke will get you many more miles on a tank of fuel. Another advantage is the ability to maintain traction. There is a longer time between power impulses and that lets the tire regain traction. Did you ever notice that flattrackers use single and v-twin four strokes. The " hook up" is the reason. Another factor in four strokes being popular trail bikes is they don't require as much energy to ride because you aren't contantly clutching and fighting for traction. I think a very good rider, in excellent physical condition could go faster on a two-stroke but for the majority of the riders, a four stroke will be easier to ride. You don't get the speed sensation on a four stroke, but if you compare lap times you might be surprised to find you are turning better times on the four stroke and be able to maintain your speed for a longer period of time.........CRX

OLD-N-SLOW

Nov 21, 2000
You seem to be perfect for a kdx.I know there will be differing opinions, but
consider this. Dead quiet,lite and nimble,stone reliable and cheap, around
$3900.00. Since it has been the same bike for six years, info on them such as
repair and hop up, are everywhere. Now this is by no means the fastest bike
around. On the contrary, it has no hit and revs smooth but will loose badly to
any 125 or 250cc mx bike in a drag race.On the trails and in the woods is another story. With a few simple and inexspensive upgrades,performance will come up nicely. A good solid all around bike.
P.S. I mx my kdx......but as my user name implies............
Steve

Bob Brooks

Jan 6, 2001
Like KTMfan said, it's not as simple as purely two stroke versus four stroke. Some two-stroke motorcycles have a lot of flywheel weight and extremely smooth power delivery which is superb in the woods. Some of the KTM models, Husqvarna's and Gas-Gas's quickly come to mind. I have a 300 KTM that is an absolute tractor, it thinks it's a four-stroke. I use the clutch less on it than I have on many past four-strokes.

By the same token, not all four-strokes are super smooth and user-friendly either. Last year, I rode a YZ400 Yamaha and while I adored that motorcycle and had a lot of fun on it, it was not a good woods bike. The power was very abrupt and quick-revving, very two-stroke like, and it was prone to stalling on the trail. If you weren't on the gas at all times, it had a tendency to cough and die in technical situations. Some of the newer, high-tech thumpers do not have the flywheel weight and user-friendliness that four-strokes are known for. In my opinion, it's not just a four-stroke and two-stroke comparison, it's a case-by-case, motorcycle-by-motorcycle discussion. But in general, four-strokes are a bit smoother and easier to manage in the woods, although invariably you will have more weight to herd around.

Rodzilla

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 21, 1999
I trail ride almost exclusively and am a dyed in the wool thumper guy, But there are times when out in the woods I really wish I had a smoker especially trails with lots of water bars and jumps. But when I ride with my 2 stroke buddies I get real tired of having to cut a ride short to go back and gas up.

I've also had to cut rides short because a buddy forgot pre-mix or a fresh plug. Advantage thumper.

I guess different strokes for different folks.:confused:

Montana300

May 4, 2000
As a former 4 stroke rider now riding a KTM300EXC, I have also had my interest peaked by the new generation of 4 stroke offerings. I rode the 520exc and was not overwhelmed by the need to get one, I think it is the soft setup that deterred me. So for awhile I am happy with my trusty and very capable 300EXC. But, then a friend buys a Husaberg 400 [enduro model] and I take a test ride. Now considering that they 'Berg is a little different in design but shares most componentry with my Katoom, I felt right at home.

The new 'Berg is a 4stroke I could be happy riding and racing. Its light, nimble, has the E button, is just powerful enough [maybe needs a new exhaust], and the ergos are just right. Now if I could just get past the color and graphics...

Mickey Fickey

Oct 4, 2000
It was well put by someone earlier, these "new" 4strokes require alot of attention just like the 2 strokes.A 520 SX or 426 is not a put her away wet and forget it kind of bike, they require alot of maintenance and attention at the controls.There are 2strokes suited to tight technical and there are 4strokes made for MX.I personally will never own a 4stroke until armegeddon and my 2strokes are taken from me by the government, the feel and "hyper" acceleration and light weight, I have found what I like and I'm not going to change that because of some bureaucrat.

Nverfastenuf

May 4, 2001
Different strokes for different folks!!! Bob Brooks summed it up well. The difference between a YZ426 and the WR426 is real!! The added flywheel weight makes a big difference. As far as the maint. on any of the new bikes, the maint. is nill when you consider that these are machines that in the right hands are capable of winning a ntl. caliber event!! Its just what gives you the biggest GRIN:) :confused: factor!!

DougRoost

~SPONSOR~
May 3, 2001
A key advantage for a 4 stroke for trails riding is engine braking. Remember the engine in your car or truck is a 4 stroke. If you let off the gas the vehicle will slow down due to the compression of the engine. 2 strokes don't really do this, so you rely on your brakes more go down hills, which if it's slippery or rocky tend to lock up vs. slowing you down. BTW, this means 4 strokes require a different riding style for MX -- you need to be on the throttle when coming off jumps or the front end is going to come down hard when you land.

Otherwise, I agree that it's all about purpose-built engines. Some 2 strokes have been smoothed out for trails and some 4 strokes have been amped up for MX. It is nice when you're out in the middle of nowhere to just be able to gas it up at any old gas station (or even siphon from your truck!).

Mickey Fickey

Oct 4, 2000
I don't know, but me personally.I have never had a problem mixing my gas at all.I guess some folks just like things easy like elect start, no waay i'm giving up all that weight, I have absolutly no problem kicking my bike.

Nverfastenuf

May 4, 2001
I think I will take a weight penalty for that little black button on the KTM 520. My 426YZs flame outs, although rare, would still iritate me, and I would have to do the old button routine. By the time I would get it started, I would loose time and be frustrated. I realize that your not supposed to flame out, but it does happen and with that little button, no more frustration!!! My 02.:cool:

paula

Jan 9, 2001
I have a WR 250 and am picking up #2 at the dealer tommorrow. This bike is awesome for tight trail riding and open country riding right out of the box. It is smooth, plenty of power, and suspension is great. We are replacing a KLX 300 and a KDX 200 with the yamaha's. I have had the WR about 3 months and so far it has been great.

XR650Rider

Jan 10, 2001
The new 4 stroke technology is pretty amazing. With the 426 and the 450 the lines have become blurred. You can ride woods and desert with the same bikes. I see a 450 playbike in a couple of years. Maybe the XR lineup will change?

One thing is for sure. If you are buying a bike for offroading, get one with a headlight. I can't tell you how many times I have ridden late at night in the desert or woods. Sure beats a sunburn.

KDK:cool:

Shaw520

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 14, 2000
Originally posted by Mickey Fickey
the feel and "hyper" acceleration and light weight,
You obviously havnt ridden a SX520 yet

I have found what I like and I'm not going to change that because of some bureaucrat.

If you really believe that this is the reason for millions of people, and dollars in 4stroke technology and sales, you need to find a clue.

There is no cut and dry here, variables such as; EXC & GG 300's can seem very "four stroke like" in the woods, and YZF's and RFS's can seem very "two stroke like" on the track.

Last edited:

weimedog

~SPONSOR~
Damn Yankees
Nov 21, 2000
I find the big four stroke, for lack of a better word..relaxing to ride in the trails. Smooth power everywhere. Understand that the two strokes I have owned were more fun for me when I was younger. I used to like that burst to pop over stuff..double whoops out in the woods...to fan the clutch out of corners for no particular reason. Used to find that the two strokes would make me ride with aggression..hunting for the power..craving that burst of power. Also since they were light it was easy to toss them around.

Now that I'm not very aggressive, the easy power of a light weight large bore four stroke lets me keep the kids in the cross hairs. Without having to work as hard. The only thing I miss is that explosive burst once in a while. I have always been a throttle response junkie. I find I can ride the big thumper all day without arm pump. Never was able to ride ANY thing as long as I can this bike I now have. Just easy to go fast for a long period of time. I also find it can tractor up slick hills better than any two stroke I ever rode. For some reason it really hooks up. Can also crawl up over rocks where with my two strokes I had to crash up and over them. ( BIG rocks) The power band is so wide that in the tricky stuff I can run the thing just off idle..and when I want to GO...just twist the go handle and it smoothly takes off. No bog. No hesitation.. just smooth power. I hear similar things from those like myself riding big bore four strokes reguardless of brand.:)

drtbkr357

Mod Ban
Mar 7, 2001
my friends insist on mx bikes in the woods ( one has a kdx and me and him could blow by everyone else) but they say they jump alot (they hit 1 jump a day)and our rides are cut down to about 2 hours

gulliver

May 4, 2001
Because 2 strokes are dirty for the environment, they will one day be a thing of the past. It is my understanding that they are banned from California for non-racing use. Because racing promotes recreational sales, the manufacturers will be pushing 4 strokes for competition. I heard that the government is requiring Jet Ski manufactures to at least offer a 4-stroke model within a certain time period.

Tennessee Thumper

Sponsoring Member
Jan 23, 2000
Lately I've been doing some trail riding and was amazed at the amount of 125's on the trail.I guess too each his own.:)

Last edited:
Top Bottom