why does KTM not have a contingency program??

sweetjeep

Sep 16, 2003
Anyone have a good answer? The big Jap 4 do (I think they all do at least). Gas Gas does.

Why the hell doesn't KTM? I am seriously thinking about racing another bike based on this. Last year I could have paid for my entire season!

Jman271

~SPONSOR~
Oct 18, 2001
They have one, it is for pro and select am nationals so unless you are a top ten pro or am, good luck-
www.munnracing.com/cont_proam.htm

zio

Mr. Atlas
Jul 28, 2000
Good question. My first though is it's because everybody and their brother is already racing a ktm. They'd be paying out the wazoo. But then that's just immature thinking. A marketer will tell you that you spend more to make more. Just because their brand is winning now doesn't mean they don't want to keep those winners happy and loyal in the future. Building a good reputation for both building good bikes AND supporting your customers is probably their top priority.

agitt73

~SPONSOR~
May 11, 2000
ktm is a good bike they dont have to pay people (bribe) to ride them
but it would be nice help with entry fees and tires

KDXfile

~SPONSOR~
Dec 6, 1999
The reason is that they don't need one. The program is designed to help sell bikes not to help riders. They're not having trouble selling bikes.
Try to find a KTM dealer that pays contigency money.

justql

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 23, 2000
I know a guy they gave a new bike to for half price since he had won the state series the year before, so my thinking is its all privately done. Nothing is advertised.

trajisto

May 3, 2002
I asked myself the same question for the last two years while I rode a KTM and won the 2003 AMA Vet Ammie H&H championship. Of which I recieved squat. Would have meant $1,500 if I would have wised up and bought a Husky earlier. Bought a 2004 Husqvarna TE450, which is hands down a more competitive bike then a 450EXC, and started picking and choosing which contingency races I would enter this year. If you race or care at all about the manufacturers kicking back a little then the decision is simple. I read the comment "they don't because they don't have to". Why would anyone support a company with that attitude?

Thank You,
Travis Epperson

Layton

~SPONSOR~
Aug 2, 2000
Dealers usually don't give contingency money, factories do.

Dealers will sponsor individual riders, which help the sale of bikes out of their own shop. Plenty of KTM shops are doing this.

KTM puts most of their money in the professional side of racing. They probably feel they are getting more for their dollar there.

KDXfile

~SPONSOR~
Dec 6, 1999
Originally posted by Layton
Dealers usually don't give contingency money, factories do.

No, but they're a few out there that do. You have to shop around. I've been riding a KTM under a "dealer" contingency plan for a year now. Before that, I had a GasGas "dealer" contingency deal coupled with the GGNA plan.
Husky has the best factory plan I've seen.

If you consistently are finishing in the top 3, it's worth it to shop around for a dealer that pays and even better if you can get a factory plan along with it.

motorhead434

May 28, 2003
buy a husky-they have a most excellent contingency program!coming from a japanese background the bikes are very durable and VERY suited to off-road racing!

KaTooMer

~SPONSOR~
Jul 28, 1999
Originally posted by KDXfile
The reason is that they don't need one.

Absolutely. In the Missouri Hare Scambles series, KTM's usually make up around 40% of what I'd consider the more "serious" riders, i.e. the A & B classes. These are the guys who are more likely to buy new bikes fairly often (every 2-3 years, say). Using the final round in '03 (Park Hills) as an example, there were 76 riders in the AA, A, B, Vet, and Senior classes. KTM's made up 28 of those 76, and there were 21 Yamahas (primarily 4-strokes). If not for Yamaha's continued support of off-road, I think you'd see an even higher percentage of KTM's.

The reason is pretty simple: KTM is supplying a need, on a relatively large scale, that other manufacturers (Yamaha excepted) are not, especially with 2-stroke off-road bikes. And they do a pretty good job at it. As long as they keep doing that, they don't need a contingency.

KaTooM EXC

Jan 14, 2004
Hey Trajisto, good luck with that Husky! I just got rid of my '04 TE450 because a starter gear stripped in it and an exhaust valve dropped only after about 150 miles on it. Just got a KTM 450EXC and I love it. The Husky is so narrow and tall that there's no way the bike can handle well. The parts availability is horrible for them too. I've spent close to $2,000 already on aftermarket parts for my EXC and I haven't put exhaust on it either. Good luck getting a kick starter too if you don't have one already. It took me 3 months to get mine after being told I would get it 3 weeks after I got the bike.

I will give Husky credit on their contingency because I got $50 from them after finishing 3rd in my class at an enduro.

Don't get me wrong Husky has a quality bike, but as far as my experience with dependability it sucks! The Husky rep is a real jerk too, Rob Keith. Sorry to bad mouth here but, I've got to vent.

MrMoto_3

Oct 24, 2003
KaTooM,

With only 150 miles your dealer should have got Husqvarna to warrantee that for you. Unless it was abuse or you have a crappy dealer.

I agree about it being slim. I like that. It is my preference but the seat sucks! Rock hard! The seats do wear extermely well but you pay for it with monkey butt. As far as tall, no way. Sit on the WR250 and I am on my toes. I am 6' 1" tall.

Handling is excellant! It corners, leaps, very stable, and soaks up every bump.

You right with the aftermarket stuff. I can't get anything for the TE. Handle bars and tires. Thats it. Exhaust are comming soon. These guy at Husqvarna are not thinking. They should have talked with the aftermarket companies and had this arranges long ago.

Contingency is awesome. They pay you the next week. This year suppose to be cash not "husky bucks" for A classes.

Kickstarter!!!!!!! Why!!!!
Why can't I get a kickstarter for my dirt bike???
4 months now and no kickstarter. Totally unacceptable.
Granted my TE450 starts every time. Never has it failed me.... But when it does and it will, just like any other starter/battery weather its a boat/car/bike, I want the backup. Some day I will be in a ravine or stalled in a mud hole and it will fail. I know your frustration. It would make me want to sell my bike if I did not have the kicker.

The husky reps here either are frustrated with all the problems and can't get help from Italy or they don't care about their jobs like most Americans these days. Too many people think they are doing the business a favor by working for them. Thats a whole seperate topic.

Anyway I just wanted to voice my opinion. Husqvarna engineers have made an excellant machine. Husqvarna marketing/development has really droped the ball. I hope they get their **** together for 05' because if the do LOOK OUT!! We could have a 6th bike MFG making podium finishes in the US.

ENJOY!!!

munch

~SPONSOR~
Jan 23, 2002
Mr. Moto,

You are fortunate to have a good dealer in Springfield, If it wasn't so far away from me I would be dealing with them and probably be riding a Husky or a GasGas!

Munch

Last edited:

Offroadr

Ready to bang some trees!
Jan 4, 2000
Originally posted by munch
Mr. Moto,

You are fortunate to have a good dealer in Springfield, If it wasn't so far away from me I would be dealing with them and probably be riding a Husky or a GasGas!

Munch

&nbsp;

Halls is a great dealer, I have rode a Husky and now 2 GasGas's out of their shop.&nbsp; But don't let location scare you, their 'remote' service is awesome.&nbsp; They will ship parts the same day you order them and will give you great support over the phone as well.

KaTooM EXC

Jan 14, 2004
The Husqy is top notch parts and craftsmanship but when the reps over here just kindof sit around and don't do anything to help people out it's hard to promote their bikes. I actually wrote an e-mail to a place in the UK and told them that it was pathetic how a company could get a second chance like they did and not seem to want to make things happen over here in the US, I also told them about my bike problems too. My mom called the rep, Rob Keith, and was telling him we wanted our money back and then he was like and tell your son not to write any more e-mails(something to that extent). I guess the people I e-mailed did like I asked and passed the e-mail on to the main Husky guys and they got onto the reps over here, but I'm not sure if it helped any.

Anyways, I'm taking this like a blessing in disguise because the KTM I have now suits my riding style better than the Husky and I have a better feel for it. My dealer is good but can be slack. Maybe I just got a bad bike but I think part of the problem is that my dealer most likely did not charge the battery the full time before he installed it on the bike. Anyways, I think they have some good bikes and if they get things right they'll have much success, but I most likely won't be on another one.

Norman Foley

Nov 14, 2001
Katoom EXC,
I'm glad the KTM suits your riding style. I just had a few questions. Who is your Husky dealer? Did you get the Husky and KTM from the same dealer? How did you "get rid of the Husky"? You said the dealer didn't charge the battery correctly when prepping the bike. Did you try jumping the bike with car jumper cables and battery(big no no)? I'm just suprised, Husky usually is quite responsive about warranty issues. An ECEA rider had his TE250 quit at an enduro(at the start line). The next day Husky US picked up his bike and took it to HQ to check it out. It turned out the owner had dropped a cam cover washer into the engine when checking valve clearences and it was caught in the cam chain. Bike fixed, owner happy(a little red faced), Husky US happy, pretty good response I'd say. I think your dealer is the weak link in your deal. Good luck with the KTM.
Norman

KaTooM EXC

Jan 14, 2004
I bought the Husqvarna from Upstate Cycle in Greenville SC. I'm not bad mouthing by posting the name so please don't get me wrong. I got my KTM from Neeley Racing, Spartanburg SC I believe. My mom just called the rep and kept on them and finally the dealer gave us our money back and I guess he got his from Husqy too, or purchased the bike himself. I didn't jump the bike off but hooked it up to a battery tender though. I would probably agree with the statement you said about the weak link in my situation but I can't do anything about it now, just glad its all over now. I'm sure Husqy is great about things but in my situation I had no luck with them.

Top Bottom