250girl

Mod Ban
Dec 19, 2007
I was just wondering if anybody knows why Yamaha doesn't make a wr125(2-stroke)?I have been lookng around for one,and have come to the realization that they do not exist,At least not around here anyways.I was looking for a bike for my friend,and a wr125 would be perfect for her,if it existed.So why doesn't Yamaha make one?

And what would be similar to a wr125?My friend is lookng for a 2-stroke 125 of the wr type,is there anything like that out there?

thanks everybody
250girl

blackduc98

~SPONSOR~
Damn Yankees
Dec 19, 2005
You could of course convert a YZ125 for woods use, but if you want off-the shelf woods bike then, maybe a KTM 125 EXC is what you are looking for? Make sure it's an EXC (enduro bike) and not an SX (which is an mx bike).

jayden122

Aug 4, 2007
^ dude thats like a hole different bike the 250f is a fourstroke and the yz125 is a 2 stroke for starters, the wr250f is a enduro model of the yz250f not yz125

Jasle

Sponsoring Member
Nov 27, 2001
Dude, I'm almost certain that no one was confusing the difference betweent he 2 bikes. What he was trying to say is that the 250 4 stroke is on par performance wise with the 125 2 stroke...ERGO, the WR250F is basically the answer for the 125 class looking for a WR style bike...

BigRedAF

Jan 9, 2005
What I'm saying is that a 125 has very little torque at low RPM's and a WR tranny would kill that bike.

The 250F is in the 125 class because of the rule that gives them more cubes to be competitive against the two strokes.

The 250F has way way more torque and does work well with a WR gear box.

The Yamaha's in the past that were used with a WR tranny were larger than a 125. They were called IT's.

The KDX is a WR style bike and they are larger than a 125 also.

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
I agree with BigRedAF

When it comes to climbing hills you MUST keep a 125 in the power band or you aren't going to make it. If they could make an 8 speed it would be great, but spreading the ratio wide wouldn't work out well.

Rod

SpDyKen

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 27, 2005
BigRedAF said:
What I'm saying is that a 125 has very little torque at low RPM's and a WR tranny would kill that bike.

The 250F is in the 125 class because of the rule that gives them more cubes to be competitive against the two strokes.

The 250F has way way more torque and does work well with a WR gear box.

The Yamaha's in the past that were used with a WR tranny were larger than a 125. They were called IT's.

The KDX is a WR style bike and they are larger than a 125 also.
Yamaha did make a WR125 enduro version of the YZ, for Australia, until 2004. I think that they also imported the IT125 to the US, at some point.

BigRedAF, one of my favorite bikes I've owned was a 1979 IT175. My '06 YZ125 (stock,) has way more power than my IT did, and when properly jetted, it has a much wider spread of power. I have been searching for a wide-ratio transmission that will fit my YZ.

Poor running and improperly jetted 125's have given them a bad reputation. Modern 125's, when jetted correctly, are incredible machines; given that they have the same displacement as your average lawnmower. 250 fourstrokes are also great bikes, but need twice the displacement to make their wide spread of power.

I highly recommend that everyone try one out sometime.

BigRedAF

Jan 9, 2005
My bad,

The blue "IT" I rode back around 1979 or so was a slug that wouldn't rev. They had different port configurations and different pipes to optimize low end for the trails. :ride:

When I think of a WR I think of hauling A$$ through the desert. I'm not going to get into an argument over this post because those bikes don't appeal to me anyway.

Honda does make a CRF250X and Kawasaki probably still makes a KDX to fit the girl in question. I say probably because green doesn't do much for me either so I haven't looked at there web site.

My wife putts around on a CRF230F with push button start, works well for her. :nener:

Top Bottom