Why you should wear pants when starting your bike . . .

robwbright

Apr 8, 2005
I was working on the bike last night - went to start it and warm it up before changing the oil. . . Was wearing shorts and hiking shoes. Foot slipped off the kicker and, voila - kicker slides up and into my calf.

Thankfully, it only went in about 1/8" and only got the fat pad, not the muscle. Pretty gruesome looking though - all jagged inside. I went ahead and changed the oil and applied a couple swingarm decals before going in to wash it out. :)

Attachments

• Leg.jpg
    Leg.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 204

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
I think boots would have made a bigger difference than long pants.

But riding boots + shorts is a serious fashion violation (for guys, anyways).

2-Strokes 4-ever

~SPONSOR~
Feb 9, 2005
Missouri
I've done the same (wearing pants), but not wearing boots a couple years ago, still got a lump.

MXGirl230

Stupid tires and trees
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Dec 19, 2002
That's nasty! I learned that same lesson on my 250F. This happened back in August, I still have a scar and bruising from it. I had to wear my running shoes to work for about a week. I could not get my work boots or even a sock on my foot.

20 min after it happened
downsize-1.jpg

This is what it looked like after 4 days
downsize.jpg

I don't try starting my bikes without riding boots anymore.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Ouchhhhhhhhh, but yes sexy, but, ouchhhhhhhhh! And we are talking post 6, not the real hairy first one? Boots, put the stupid boot on. Yes, I still stray away once in a while. BUT, I really try to stay out of the garage period half dressed! The pneumatic half inch impact falling off the bench, atop my flip flops. That one time, you would have never guessed, here hold my beer a minute? Vintage Bob

pesky nz

Sep 13, 2010
I can feel some of your pain, in about 1977 I test rode a yamaha 360 trail bike which had a loose kick starter end. The loose end was touching the back of my calf when I stalled the bike and the resulting slap on the back of the leg left me unable to do much except let my eyes water and fall over. I got a lot of funny looks from passers by as i sat in the middle of the road unable to stand until someone realised I was missing, found me started the bike for me and helped me on to ride back to work and sulk for days. In the time of XR's it was common to hit your shin on the back of the foot peg on follow through and these days with kick starters a long way out to the side your foot try's to slide out past the end of the lever and stab or rake your calf like thease pictures show. I'm yet to be electrocuted in the thumb while starting my WR's but I suppose its coming one rainy day

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
MXGirl230 said:
That's nasty! I learned that same lesson on my 250F. This happened back in August, I still have a scar and bruising from it. I had to wear my running shoes to work for about a week. I could not get my work boots or even a sock on my foot.
Dayum! I've never done it that bad!

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
"Lou you should put on some boots before trying to start that."
"I'll be fine Patman."
"No really dude look at the footpegs."
"Damn those are serious, I'll be fine."
"Really buddy I think...."
"OWWWWIE! DAMN THAT HURTS!, Holy crap I have hamburger on my leg now."
"Yup you do."
So ends another lesson of how to NOT start a 315R.

Top Bottom