Jun 1, 2004
I am thinking about buying a kdx but i am having a little trouble deciding which one. I have 2 to choose from:

1. 1999 Kdx 200
2. 1997 Kdx 220

I have one friend who rides trails and one who rides mx so i want a good in-between.

I weigh 207 pounds and i am 5' 11"

:bang:

WildBill

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Mar 29, 2002
Which ever one you choose, I would look at retuning the suspension for your ability, riding locale and weight. We're both a little over the ideal KDX rider's height and weight from my experience. They're great bikes so get the one in the best condition and as Jason mentioned, read the threads at the top of this forum. There are some vital maintenance issues you will need to address regularly but that's true with all bikes. Enjoy!

John Harris

Apr 15, 2002
Others will chime in here, but I don't ever remember a 200 piston blowing up and subsequently destroying the rest of the engine. However, I have heard of several 220s of that vintage having the trouble. Other than that they have the same frame and suspension with the only differences being in the engine department. (Ah yes, I know the 220 comes with an "O" ring chain.) The 200 is usually "faster" in any comparable state of tune. You will enjoy either one when set up for your style and use.

Jun 1, 2004
I think i am going to get the 200 and then maby i will get the 240 kit for it if i want any more power.

Do you guys know a website that has kdx mod parts?

BucKat

~SPONSOR~
Mar 27, 2002
The 200 will better suit the track as it has a more pull in the mid to top end. Saying that the 200 does still have nice bottom end aswell. Being an ower of both I'd recommend the 200.

What mods are you looking for. Start with jetting. You'll be amazed what $5.00 can do.

Buc

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
You will be disappointed with the 200......if you are after a 240.

The 240 kit is for the 220. It is an LA Sleeve affair.

The 'big bore' for the 200 gets you a 225. It's a bore/replate. Eric Gorr does it.

What parts are you looking for? Try Fredette (put his name in Google and he's right on top) for one. RockyMountain has lotsa stuff.

You will get 'more power' from any bike that is properly tuned over some bike that hasn't been cared for.

BTW, an 'inbetween' bike will perform exactly like that...inbetween. It won't do as well as it could in either place if it is setup correctly.

Jun 1, 2004
Well I mainly want to get a good, affordable trail bike and it seems that the kdx is the best choice.
I was going for a 200exc but they are too expensive.

The 202 is 2 years older and it seems that all i need is a 200

I plan on following the directions on the website when i get it.

I would like to use this bike as a "project bike" in a way and i was wondering,
are these bike mods bolt on or is it hard to customise them?

As long as a good trail bike will run on mx tracks it will be fine.

Power is not as important as handling and feel. I have a 2 stroke 550 ktm, if its power i want i can always try to ride it, lol.

Thanks guys for the feed back and thanks to Canadian Dave and all the participants on these forums for the info. If i ever need info, i am sure it will be here!

-Vortex

Last edited:

BucKat

~SPONSOR~
Mar 27, 2002
Eric Gorr is selling a complete 240 cylinder for the same price as sending your cylinder out to get modified. In other words...keep you orginal 200 cylinder and get a second cylinder that's been machined already.
You'll need to get the head and exhaust valved machined.
Soooooooo,,,now you have no reason to get your KDX200 and a 240 overbore kit.
Check it out at his site.

BucKat

~SPONSOR~
Mar 27, 2002
Absolutely. I took the Gnarly off my 220 and installed it on the 200. It really wakes up either bike.
Generally,,,the 220 is a more user friendly bike with more bottom end and a forgiving top.( peeter off rather quickly).
The 200 has less bottom end but much more mid-top end.
I say go for the 200. Piped/jetted makes for a much improved ride.
Buc.

Junkyard Dog

Mar 31, 2004
After installing the Gnarly K-35 pipe, re-jetting your carb is a must because it won't run very well until you do.
In my 03 KDX200 I run a 45 pilot, 155 main, 1173k needle at 40:1 fuel ratio. . Barstow CA. area.
You'll be pleasantly surprised at how much it'll wake up the 200.
Yours will depend on where you live and ride, elevation, weather, humidity and so on.

As far as running on an mx track... (I know I'm going to get slammed for this) it just doesn't cut the mustard. Thats why I bought a 02 KX 250 for the track and use the 200 for the desert.
It's meant to be an enduro not a mx bike.

Good luck with the new bike.
JD

BucKat

~SPONSOR~
Mar 27, 2002
I agree with Junkyard Dog..
That's why I installed my piped KDX200 motor into a 2000KX125 frame....the best of both worlds.......in a compromising kinda way.
Buc

Jun 1, 2004
Well thanks guys, im going to buy it on monday, i am having the dealer hold it for me.

It already has an fmf on it but i think i am going to get a new gnarly.

So do you think i should wait to jet until i have the gnarlly?

Does anyone know where to get the dark green graphics for a kdx200?

Last edited:

BucKat

~SPONSOR~
Mar 27, 2002
You mean like THIS ??

Try eb*y. That's where I get most of my stuff..

Cheers.
Buc

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
re: It already has an fmf on it but i think i am going to get the gnarly

This is your lucky day!! If it has an FmF on it, it already has a 'gnarly' 'cuz they are the same thing!

A short FmF primer:

The bikes you list are both 'H' models. FmF has changed their names over the years, but for the 'H' model they have two pipes, a rev profile and a torque profile. These are usually identified by a number stamped on one of the mounting tabs (location varies). A -30 indicates a rev, a -35 a torque. The rev pipe is a considerably larger circumference, about 14". The torque is around 11", both measured at the largest section of the cones.

When FmF went from 19 to 18 guage metal they chose the name Burly. Someone else already using that name took issue with it. FmF changed the name to Gnarly. That name by itself doesn't really mean anything. Saying, 'I have an FmF Gnarly pipe,' is saying you don't know WHAT you have. The term 'desert' refers to a rev profile, the term 'woods' to a torque. Both pipes effect the same rpm band of either the 200/220. That's not saying the pipes do the same thing on both bikes. Differences in carb size, port timing and static compression between the two kdx models have an effect.

Oh...some FmF pipes in the past have been mismarked on the tabs. Some have no marks at all. Some catalogs call the same FmF pipe one thing for the 200, the other for the 220. That's not helping any understanding of the matter.

Please go to CDave's JustKDX site. Please read it. Start on page 'one' and read everything he says. That will eliminate confusing statements as, 'It already has an fmf on it but i think i am going to get the gnarly.'

Have fun!

Racer X

~SPONSOR~
Feb 4, 2004
Mine had an FMF Fatty pipe on it. I was given a Gnarly, and it looked less beat up and rusty, so I put the Gnarly on. What's up with the Fatty, Mr. smarty pants, CC?

:nener:

:yeehaw:

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Something I said is incorrect? In which case I welcome a correction, even from such as yourself.

The Fatty is a different profile, neither rev nor torque. There are 'Fatty Gnarlys' too. The '89-94 kdxs had Fatty applications. The Fatty is not listed for the 'H' model.

Which is not to say a Fatty doesn't fit on an 'H'. I've seen such.

I don't know the basis/premise/reason for name calling and juvenile behavior, but before you make such a fool of yourself on an international venue, you might want to have the slightest clue about which you speak.

Maybe you don't have a choice in that regard either. In that case, my condolences. ;)

Racer X

~SPONSOR~
Feb 4, 2004
Whoa! Chill out daddy-o! I know you are the great all-seeing, all-knowing KDX devine authority. :worship: Hence my use of smileys. I truly dig all the knowledge which you so freely expound. But tell me. Did all that KDX maintenance and rip-roaring around the woods dull your sense of humor, or did you ever possess one? :) That was a smiley, too. :yeehaw:

That said, yeah, from the catalogs I looked at, the Fatty is not listed for the 95-03, but the one I have fits okay. (not great) I thought it might be closer to the rev pipe than the woods pipe.

p.s. Mr. Smarty Pants wouldn't be juvenile or name slinging. I thought it'd be complimentary. ;) So lighten up, Francis! :nener:

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Racer X:
Your humor completely escapes me, as does your complimentary nature.....went 'under my head' so to speak. ;)

Fortunately, any way it's taken it matters not a whit. ;) :) :worship:

The FmF Fatty for the KDX is a K-13/14 for '86-'88/'89-'94 models. From a web google search (the web being known as veracity en-toto):

Click here for a listing of different profile numbers and application ranges.

The Fatty is advertised as being an 'all 'round' pipe.

re: '..Fatty.. fits ok.'

More often than not FmF pipes don't fit for diddle.

As JasonWho mentions, there have been only about a gazillion questions over the years regarding FmF pipes. As often as what is known about them is explained is at least the number of times the questions and confusion over their designation and perfomance come up.

You could buy one of each, test them for yourself to make the 'best' determination on your own.

Worked for me!

Rhodester

May 17, 2003
Racer X, I bought my '95 200H used with a "Fatty" on it. It probably was the only pipe profile they made when the "H" 200 first came out. It is the -30 Rev pipe. Same as the -30 Gnarly only 19 guage steel instead of 18 guage. I am now running a Gnarly -35 woods pipe I recently picked up (new). You can easily see the difference with a quick glance. Hope that helps.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Another excellent example of what (one of) the problem is with FmFs pipes. The Fatty profile is a K13/14..not a -30.

That doesn't mean FmF didn't make a pipe that says 'Fatty' on it that is not a 'fatty' profile pipe. Rhodester has one.

To cap it all off, FmF has mismarked pipes in the past, putting the incorrect profile # on the mounting tab.

To make it even more fun, the two pipes FmF lists for the 'H' kdx require completely different jetsets. Simply changing the pipe (keeping everything else the same) will not give you any idea of their performance differences.

BTW, it's Sally, not Francis!

Top Bottom