silver

May 16, 2006
Since it is dead hear I'll start a new thread.My wife wants a full size bike for next yr she currently rides a TTR 125. What would make a good bike for her. I'm going to have what ever I get lowered (suspension) so she can touch.So height won't be an issue. Give me sound reasons it would be a great bike for a lady.Don't just tell me to get an Orange one or a Blue one . I want reasons why it would make a great womens bike . 2-stroke or 4-stroke either would be fine.She thinks the magic button would be really nice but then again don't we all.

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
YOU need to buy my 2009 250 XCW. electric start, mint shape and the motor is electric smooth, easy to ride for a bigger bike. It's light, is titled so you can get a plate for it. Smaller CC bkes tend to be pipey and harder to adjust to coming from a mello 4 stroke. And you can borrow it on sundays. :cool:

MuddyBuddy

Nov 1, 2006
You can't go wrong with a KTM 200 and it seems to work well for a lot of women, including myself. I'm not a fan of four strokes just for the weight factor. Bike weight is a much bigger concern for me than seat height. I've also got a modified KX100 that's for sale if it turns out she's not quite ready for a full sized bike yet. The KX100 runs rings around the TTR125, but is a little smaller and easier to manage than a full sized bike and is very light and fluffy.

Good luck!

Wolverine423

~SPONSOR~
Oct 2, 2005
I would buy Magoo's 200 as it's always been rode with a throttle stop :nener:

UP Magoo

Apr 4, 2002
I'm just waiting for more brake pads to come in... seems like they just wear out sooo fast....

tdunn976

Aug 23, 2003
Cousin, I have the 02 KX125 that also has a shorter sub frame that goes with it, I know it aint new like them KTMs but motor fresh.

iroc8210

Jun 26, 2006
A friend of MuddyBuddy and mine went from a TTR125 (bored and BBR-goodied out to a 150) to a KTM 200 and is LOVING IT. She had never rode a 2-stroke before this either. She put on a FWW (not sure what size) and a throttle cam, sent the suspension out for almost 2" of lowering and has been golden. I was with her on her maiden voyage out to N. Missaukee and the next day Long Lake and I was very impressed with how smooth the transition was for her. Her response was something along the lines of "Why didn't I get this sooner?" Riding has become much more enjoyable for her :cool: I'm not sure you could get the same easy transition out of a 125cc 2 stroke. I went from a modded KX100 to a 125sx, swapped carbs to the smaller exc and re-jetted.That made a huge difference in more low/mid range power, but its still pipey and requires a lot of clutching in the woods, where as Karen and her 200...she's able to stick it in a gear and go and that bike is happy to lug all day long. Depending on the height/inseam of your wife, just getting out of the cramped cockpit of a mini-bike will be a huge advantage in comfort and the ability to go on longer rides and whoops become so much more manageable.

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
Yeah but that 250 is sweet too, and it has electric start! At the end of the day less kicking means she will have more energy to cook, clean house, do laundry......Kidding there girls, just kidding. :whoa: That oughta wake lil red up though....

nickolino

Feb 21, 2008
:nod: Find a good local dealer go there talk to a good salesperson and they will educate you on what is the rite bike for you wife. and get a great deal.

Shagy100

Sep 4, 2006
well at least your gonna get your wife a bike. my future wife decided that i didn't need my fully built 125 next season so shes confiscating it. :bang: Looks like im riding my 250 all season :|

tdunn976

Aug 23, 2003
Shagy100 said:
well at least your gonna get your wife a bike. my future wife decided that i didn't need my fully built 125 next season so shes confiscating it. :bang: Looks like im riding my 250 all season :|
You ride?
When did you start that?

You will find that soon, you do not own any bikes but the wife has several.

WomanRider

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jul 19, 2006
tdunn976 said:
You will find that soon, you do not own any bikes but the wife has several.

I own everyone in my garage at the moment. Hubby owns only the CR500 in pieces.

Lots of great advice. When I jumped up to a full frame bike I went to a CR250 with a FWW. It took me a while to get adjusted to the bike but I loved that bike. I blew my knee out and decided a wanted a magic button, so I rode a 300 xcw for a while. I did not like the tranny for tight woods. Hubby planned on having it be his Sunday bike, so he has it now. After that I rode several bikes and decided an XC was in my future. I now ride an 250xc and find the bike does well for me.

I think, you need to have her ride several different bikes to decide which one she wants. Have her ride 4 and 2 strokes and decide. Watch nickolino though, he will try to talk u into a 4 stroke. Karen has a great set up on the 200 as do several other women in MI. I wish she had DRN account to share her story.

When I tried the 200 I could not handle the harder clutch pull, which is not noticeable on the 250. I also thought the 4 strokes were too heavy, but I live in a 2 stroke family.

salgeek

Oct 2, 2003
WomanRider said:
Karen has a great set up on the 200 as do several other women in MI.

When I tried the 200 I could not handle the harder clutch pull, which is not noticeable on the 250.

Can't say I've noticed any clutch pull difference between 200's and 250's. But then again I don't ride them anymore without a Rekluse Pro.

The 200 is light and can be put in a mild state of tune by changing the ignition map and exhaust power valve settings.

3KDXXR2

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 3, 2002
I think badgermans bike is the way to go. The suspension is already lowered and a kdx is easy to start,and a good step up from a ttr. You cant get an orange bike for that price.

KTM Mike

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 9, 2001
Mike

Knowing your wife, I am sure the E button would be nice for her. But, if you go 4 stroke full size, I suspect she would find the added weight a downside. That leaves the smokers. With some time to adapt, and making sure seat height is good for her, she will quickly learn to start a good old fashioned kicker. I would suggest seriously giving Badgerman's KDX some thought - it is spotlessly clean, perfectly maintained, already lowered, suspension has been worked on, and much less $ than the other options mentioned here. If she quickly advances skill wise, such she really needs more of a bike she could later move up to something else. I suspect that KDX would suit her fine for some time however.

If the Sunday back up bike for you is a real consideration, buy something like Fred's or find a KTM 200. The KTM 200s are super easy to fine tune the power delivery on, even the older models before the switchable ignition curves. Some fine tuning with jetting, a FWW, adjust the powervalve and maybe a G2 throttle cam, I am absolutely sure you can find a combo that would work well for Kerry, and have the ability to be quickly changed to work for you if need be. I know I absolutely love riding Mitch's 200. We set up Mitch's 200 when he first started on a bike doing all of those things, then as he got better as a rider, we were able to easily tweek it to suit his needs. Lowering the KTM can be done of course. Badgerman just set up a KTM200 for his daughter (who previously rode that KDX he is selling) who is I think a bit shorter than Kerry, using an eccentric heim joint thingy, and simply raising forks in the tubes. (a good low cost approach).

I dont think clutch pull will be a problem for Kerry on the KTM 200 or a KDX. Though, as someone else mentioned, my 250 pulls easier than Mitch's 200 (both have the EE easy pull levers to), which I think is actually not that much easier pull than the KDX.

I just started studding up the tires on both Mitch's 200 MXC and Mark's KDX tonight. Stop by sometime next week (I have the week off work). Without having to spend the time for a long road trip, Kerry could see the two side by side, and even take one for a spin down the driveway if she wanted. Not that they are for sale, but to compare side by side could be very helpful.

fatherandson

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 3, 2001
Another thought...beyond the back up Sunday bike...is what bike would your daughter be moving to in the future? IMHO....the KDX would be a better bike - after she gets done with the TTR.

jeepguy74

Sep 16, 2009
currently i ride a klx250 great bike and if ya are intrested your wife could take mine a few laps to get a idea
it is a light nimble bike
dont get me wrong i love the ktm's and if i decide to take on a payment i will go to one but untill i do that and sell this bike it is a great little 250 4 stroke for the trails....
shoot me a msg if ya are intrested and even close to the cadillac area

GregB

Aug 22, 2005
How about a Yamaha WR 250, 2006? Don Marsh's past racing bike. Reliable, in great condition and a proven winner. Kyler rode it for part of one season and migrated to Don's 250 Two-stroke...so the 4 stoke is no longer needed.

Top Bottom