the Eel

~SPONSOR~
Sep 23, 2000
Great reports ...

Jake - way to finish ! I remember hitting the wall at about 63 miles in at the Boar last year .... strange how emotional it can be to push yourself past what you perceive to be your limit ... I was practically in tears ... it got seriously weird ! LOL. Finishing is so satisfying, especially when you're pretty convinced you won't make it.

wsmc831

~SPONSOR~
Apr 30, 2002
Endoquest! DAMN! I didn't see anyone in the truck or I would have said hello..we had 2 HOURS until I started (other 2 guys I ride with are really, really fast A riders (yes, I'm tired of taking crap!)) but yes, come down to the races at Upper Creek and Stoneyford, they are GREAT riding areas and WAY different than any areas you'll find in Oregon (and hours closer!)

as far as the cramping issue goes, BEEN THERE DONE THAT! at the QS, in the second half, my hamstrings started to crap in the second half, so I would sit down...then my quads would cramp, so I'd have to stand up...then my hams would cramp...a NO win situation....but as bad as it was, I've learned that cramps go away. They basically get me mad now, and I know they will pass by just riding. I was BURNED after my hill mistake at mile 55 or so, but after 10 or so miles I got back into it, unfortunately just when I got mad again and started having fun, I would make another mistake and burn energy.

But, that's what makes this racing fun and why I won't quit.

Endoquest, I hope you make it down to some more races...the upper lake/stoneyford races are great, and the Sierra races are EVEN BETTER!

wsmc831

~SPONSOR~
Apr 30, 2002
endoquest....btw, for me, this was harder than the QS. I got less points, but MY mistakes, and riding with new changes on the bike (way more sensative brakes, and a full cylinder/head job with WAY more power) without enough practice was my own fault. I think the second half was tougher than the QS, but the checks weren't as hard, and if I had not been lame, I would have done much better......

I'm still waiting for a dnf from a mechanical which has happened to jho410 who is way faster than me, but has bad luck...but I'm still hoping my NON agressive riding style will just let me finish every race pretty well and be consistent.

btw, props for driving down for these, I know the drive down I-5 is BORING, but the ride is worth it. One of these day's I'll get the wife to move back home with me, just wish Oregon had a series as well run as the D36 events.

Hope to see ya at the Sawmill..if you make it, let me know!

wsmc831

~SPONSOR~
Apr 30, 2002
Mello...no reason to sell that bike. One of my good friend that I ride these with got 19 points on an 03 yz250f...I think it's a great bike for the NorCal events. Decent power, and light weight. It's not for me, I've ridden it and no way I could do it...but if you are comfy with it, no reason to change. Keep it and go fast!

Jonala

~SPONSOR~
Sep 20, 2000
Jake,
Welcome to the club of self abuse / misgivings / what is the purpose of all this. I personally go through the feelings you describe at least a couple of times a year. I get fustrated at everything I try to do. Trials, enduros, cycling, work, life just wouldn't be as satisifying if it came easy.

Regroup, and hopefully the Sawmill will not require an Ark, to complete. You are a good rider, you just had a bad day.

Hope to ride with you again.

Farmer John

T.C.F.<br>(tire changin' fool)
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 8, 2000
MelloYello said:
I was certain they were not going to be "emotionally-fluctuating, cramping-like-a-room-full-of-women-and-their-special-friends, rider-friendly" trails.:eek:

:laugh: :laugh: :thumb:

jho410

~SPONSOR~
Apr 30, 2002
wsmc831 ...
I'm still waiting for a dnf from a mechanical which has happened to jho410 who is way faster than me, but has bad luck...but I'm still hoping my NON agressive riding style will just let me finish every race pretty well and be consistent.

be patient. you're dnf days will come - don't you worry. :joke:

MelloYello

~SPONSOR~
Nov 22, 2002
wsmc831 said:
Mello...no reason to sell that bike. Keep it and go fast!

I'm not going to sell my lovely yellow YZF! It makes me a better rider than I really am. Now if only it could make me magically fast. . .:think:

Jonala said:
Welcome to the club of self abuse

Hi, my name is Jake and I'm a self-abuse-aholic. . .:laugh:

Thanks for the encouragement, everyone.:thumb:

Last edited:

endoquest

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 4, 2000
Great replies all, can't write now but managed to read everything. More later.

Zelpo

Feb 22, 2004
The agony of defeat ...

I arrived around noon on Saturday, and made my way down the 'camp tunnel road' and found a nice open spot behind the main roadway. Dean showed up soon after and it was a quick ride to check some jetting changes I made. I was surprised at how warm it was, and wearing my vented gear turned out to be the hot ticket. Only fifteen or so miles of easy stuff, and Dean even managed to find a geo cache. I gotta get one of those snazzy GPS thingys, that's pretty neat-o to be able to map your tracks :joke:

Couple of guys I knew from KTMTalk arrived and camp was set, along with a surprising good dinner of steak, chicken & beans. I was a firecracker all night long, and fortunately for my campmates, I slept in the bed of my truck alone. It was one cold mutha that night and I woke up with ice and dampness on my sleeping bag lol, but it's a good bag and I did stay comfortable all night.

Started the bikes up for tech around 8am, and that's when Dean noticed leaking coolant from the left side radiator. Try as we may, some JB weld type material did not heal the crack that had suddenly developed overnight, what a bummer :whiner: What are the chances of that? Dean had made the trip all the way from Bakersfield too.

Feeling bummed out for Dean, I went to T101 about fifteen minutes early and lined up with my row. Only one other guy on my minute, and I let him go in front of me (I'm not in denial). Nothin' like wide trail to get loosened up on lol, sheesh it was all I could do to keep the 15mph average in that section, and TimeKeepers let everyone know they were not messin' around with amount of tight stuff. Right off the get go at 3 miles was a check-in for the 24mph Ross trail I think it was called. I managed to get late in that section, no surprise there. There were bottlenecks early on, and my apologies to the guy whose bike I used as traction on one of the first nasty up hills (it was do or die man).

Rarely was I on time, so it was a solid non-stop 41 mile brisk-pace ride for me. Bad Ass trail was funny as hell, and I cursed the club the entire time I was being hammered by rocks and whipped by branches. I love em' for it now, you know how it goes. By gas I was pretty tired, but lucky for me Dean stuck around and was waiting at gas with gas can in hand. Also had water, apple juice and a energy bar at the ready ... Dude you rock :aj: Never had a pit crew before, I could get real used to that!

Second loop was brutal, and only now am I recounting all the events, it was a blur at the time. Some of the near zero-gravity descents made me pucker more than the crazy root invested hill climbs. Lot's of tight stuff, and a nice creek bed with bowling ball sized boulders (was that in the 24mph section?). At this point I was in survival mode, constantly late with no hope of ever catching up, and in a just-finish-the-thing state of mind. At around mile 65 I began to experience some of the worst cramps I’ve had to date. The insides on my legs were screaming. I extended my legs to get rid of them, and then my quads wanted to act up. On three separate occasions I had to just pull over for about five minutes a pop & let my legs un-cramp. I had been drinking copious amounts of water for days, aspirin & banana’s the whole bit. No matter, St. Cramp paid Matt a visit that day, and made up for lost time.

Right after the eighth check I began to hour out according to my instrument (you think I'm doing all that math in my head?), so on the few double track & roads they threw in towards the end, I was in full on berserker mode, going as fast as I could, hoping like hell no one was coming the other direction. I even managed to ride a 4th gear endo while my front tire danced around for good effect. Somehow I saved it & myself from a nasty get off.

Just when I was catching up and getting back into my hour, they threw one last little section of gnarly, and I houred out at the last check by one minute :think: Oh well, I did what I set out to do, and that was to just finish the course. I guess if you’re going to hour out, the last check is the place to do it.

I must say that was some of the most challenging trail I've ever done, and I thought it was more difficult overall than the Quicksilver last month (not that the QS was easy, it certainly was not). I was one whopped puppy by the time I received my finisher pin, but I felt pretty good for getting as far as I did.

After some good bench racing with friends and camp neighbors, it was time to pack it up and hit the road. I'm already looking forward to next years Boar :thumb:

Matt

dp400

Aug 8, 2001
Matt

Good write up!! Sounds like a brutally great time! :aj:
I got a flat tire around mile 20 and my day was over. I rode back to the truck and hung out with the Timekeepers at the finish line. I remember BSing with you at the finish when they told you you houred out by one min. on the last check. Man we all felt bad for ya. I also remember you telling me about the guy from Bakersfield - that sucks. There sure is a lot of satisfaction in finishing a race like that. I'll have to complete it next year I guess.
Are you racing the Sawmill? Last year was hell - this year should be fun.

Dan

GETMETOCA

Can't Wait For Tuesdays
Mar 17, 2002
Great reports!!! Endoquest, it was good to see you again! Sorry about your mishap with the ditch, I can't believe you got going again after a minute or so, that woulda finished off lesser souls for sure :worship:

Jake, you have a way with words, I think. Rest assured, all the women understand what kind of misery you must have been in. I'm proud of you for taking on the Boar!! Good job!

Sounds like a toughy for everyone, congrats to all who rode!

Zelpo

Feb 22, 2004
dp400 said:
I remember BSing with you at the finish when they told you you houred out by one min. on the last check. Man we all felt bad for ya ... Are you racing the Sawmill? Last year was hell

Lol, small world eh? Yup, I was pretty bummed out at the time, but I got over it. I want to do the Sawmill, but alas I have to work that weekend. Brad was looking for workers for the Sawmill on KTMtalk, and I told him if it rains & I have the rain-date off, I'll work a check.

I heard last years Sawmill had a nice lake section in it, many stories of drowned bikes :ohmy:

Matt

endoquest

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 4, 2000
Thanks for the props 831, Getmetoca, tough luck Zelpo.
I just looked at the Sawmill flier. It's on Saturday! That's great. I might be able to go.
My wrists are much better now. My forks might have some problems though.
In any case, I had a good time and I'm sure that I will be doing a few more D-36 enduros this year. We will all meet eventually.
If any of you are coming up here for the Funky Chicken, let me know. Cheers, endoquest

endoquest

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 4, 2000
jho410, the Funky Chicken AMA National Hare Scramble is May 29/30, Memorial Day Weekend. This year we are paying D-36 Cross Country points for Champoinship Series. Unfortunately we are not paying B/C Championship or Youth Series points due to rider limit/landowner wishes. Too many riders. However, we are not opposed to having B or C riders signing up for the race. In Oregon and for AMA National points, all amateur classes still can participate, it just won't count for D-36 points. Go to www.etra.net for info and entry form. Thanks! endo

wsmc831

~SPONSOR~
Apr 30, 2002
that does look like a great place to ride...but that makes 3 races in May...too many for me.

jHO, I'm sure you and Bob will want to go...but I'll probably be staying home doing chores ;-)

jho410

~SPONSOR~
Apr 30, 2002
wsmc .... that's a true B rider answer :moon:

Actually, it sounds like a great event but I'll be in the Santa Cruz mountains pouring beer and wine at a festival. I do want to get up to OR to do some riding ... maybe this summer when it's 100 degrees and dusty down here.

Top Bottom