Will I mess up the crank tolerances????

smahala1286

Sep 9, 2004
When I am putting the two case halfs back together with the transsmison and crank already in the right side case do I have to heat the left crank bearing, i dont have the kawasaki crankshaft jig so im assuming that if i didnt i would mess up the tolerances of the crankshaft right?

muddy226

Sponsoring Member
Sep 14, 2003
Whilst I cannot answer your question specifically I wonder have you thought about heating the bearing as you describe, and then instead of bolting up the cases and "pushing" the crank into the bearing, using the flywheel nut or one of a similar size and some washers or similar to "pull" the crank into the bearing before tightening up the case bolts?

darringer

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 2, 2001
I just replaced the main bearings on my cr and this is how I assembled the cases. To press the left case and bearing onto the crank, heat the inner race a bit, then I used a 1/2" drive deep socket that fit over the crank but was long enough to rest on the bearing web inside the mag cover, then use the flywheel nut with large washers to pull the cases together, adding more washers as you go. It worked perfectly and took about 2 minutes. That way there is no stress on the crank. Pretty much the same idea as muddy226's idea.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom