Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
Found this posted on another forum, brought some tears to my eyes. I can honestly say I don't know anyone with more strength and determination.

<object width="640" height="390"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/o5eRVLClEsQ&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/o5eRVLClEsQ&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></embed></object>

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
I went to his site just the other day and read a few blogs. This is just fantastic. While it wrenches my heart to see a friend in such pain, I can't keep from admiring his determination and positive mind set. Thanks for posting this video.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
That's a great video Doug. Will really is an amazing man and I'm really glad to be able to call him a friend. I really believe in the next video he will be dancing.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Thanks for the link Doug, that's amazing progress chronicled in that video.

Well done Will, keep it up :cool:

DWreck

~SPONSOR~
Apr 14, 2002
I watched that last night before going riding today. Makes you think about how quickly things can go wrong and appreciate what you have. I remember Will from Dirt Week. Seemed like a great guy, full of energy. That determination will serve him well, hope he makes a full recovery.

Vic

***** freak.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
Go Will!!! :cool:

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Very impressive. Thanks for sharing Chili.

Offroadr

Ready to bang some trees!
Jan 4, 2000
Amazing story and progress. My BIL is paralized from the chest down from a quad accident. The mental pain and strength it takes to get through is more that I can imagine.

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
Thanks Chili!

Will is a real inspiration we could learn from. :cool:

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
What more can be said about Will? I had the fortune of riding with him and shooting with him when he was getting into the art of the camera. He's always been faster than me and quickly started teaching me the "eye". All he needed from me was the camera technical stuff, he always saw things in an artful way and started capturing it on day one. "How do I make this thing catch what I see?"

His work stands on it's own.

A very good guy who didn't deserve it, but you can bet will make the best of it. All that have had the opportunity to know him are better off because of it.

I've got to say the most moving moment of the video for me was when she wiped his eyes and planted a loving kiss on his cheek. We often overlook the sacrifice the loved ones make and the love they share, the strength they have to show.

holeshot

Crazy Russian
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 25, 2000
It looks like Will is making excellent progress.

I've had a taste of this condition before (stroke). It feels as though the electrical connections to the muscles are disconnected or a very poor connection. It affects the smaller muscles the most (like the finger muscles). I remember having to cut the fingers out of rubber gloves to put them on (don't remember why I needed those gloves). The fingers were just too floppy - no way they would go in the holes. Every morning, I'd check to see if I could straighten my fingers and make a flat hand. For quite some time, a main challenge was to put paper money into a wallet - I'd just give up and mash it in there. Legs and feet feel like clubs when first able to walk again.

The way the medical people explained it ---> when the nerve cells die in the injury, adjacent cells take up the slack and become nerve cells (as long as there is some connectivity). But this takeover period can take literally years. Even after a couple of years, there may be things that are difficult, then after four years you can do it without even thinking. Depends upon the extent of the injury, I guess.

Although I'm certainly no expert on this stuff, Will has movement everywhere, so I think this a great sign for a nice recovery. It'll just take time ....

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
Thanks for posting Chili. Very tough to watch when it is someone you know, and also an injury that could happen to any one of us every time we get on a bike. I can't even begin to imagine how tough the past 16 months have been for Will and Carol physically and emotionally. But it is so wonderful to see that Will is making progress, very inspiring!!

Does anyone have a current mailing address for Will? If so, could you please PM me or post it. Thanks!

Top Bottom