wornknobby

Feb 5, 2004
when you check your crank bearings, as long as there is no movement up and down you should be good right? or is there a more indepth way of checking?

the reason i ask is, that i heard of someones bike that made a ticking sound and it was b/c of bad crank bearings, my bike makes a ticking sound but i don't know what from :coocoo: :coocoo:

but i was wondering if as long as i had no play up and down if i would still be in good shape?

wornknobby

Feb 5, 2004
but will i be good as long as there is no play up and down?

what i';m trying to ask is , how do i know how long i have to run a bike by checking the bearing play?

if i have no play how much longer can i expect to get out of a crank?

Gibby

Dec 8, 2004
There really isn't no answer to those ?'s. That's like asking how long you have to live it your heart is in good working order. Well it all depends on how you ride,how often you ride, etc.

wornknobby

Feb 5, 2004
that makes sense,

but let me ask you this.... my bike when running makes a ticking sound(like a clock), its very hard to hear unless your head is right next to the cylinder and your listening for it. do you think worn out crank bearings would make this noise in a two stroke? (maybe lower rod bearing?)

also if checking up and down play is for crank bearings, how would you check a lower rod bearing, w/out tearing the rod apart? :coocoo:

Gibby

Dec 8, 2004
Ok my bad thought you was talking about the lower rod bearing in the first place. The way you check it is to try and move it up and down. To check your Main bearings you can take your ignition cover off and try to move the crank up and down. It is hard to feel much movement though. The ticking you hear is hard to tell 2 strokes make so many noises.If you have a wiseco they seem to make alittle more noise than stock ones do. If you think it is serious tear it apart and find out. But if you have to listen that hard it's probably nothing to be worried about.

wornknobby

Feb 5, 2004
ok, thanx for the help,, :) :cool:

i was hoping w/ getting away w/ rebuilding my bike easy this winter. :)

see, i have a brand new hot rod crank, new crank bearings,gasket kit and basically a new motor, but i don't want to tear my cases apart if i can get another season out of them.plus i want to build another motor. (just less work and more bang for my buck.) :blah:

i'll throw in a new top-end kit,some reeds, and some clutch stuff and run it.

too much snow here to ride though ,guess i'll pull out the ol' 500 :aj:

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom