fatherandson

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 3, 2001
Last year the Michigan Trail Riders got together a couple of time during the Winter months.  Some of us went to the Arenacross races in Grand Rapids.  I think these races were in January.  Can someone confirm that they will be at the VanAndel areana again this year.

Also, we got together for a dinner.  Last year we met in Okemos, but I would be open to other ideas.  Maybe in March?  MWeissen is planning an event for February.

Please post your thoughts and ideas.

Mike

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
Hey F&S - good thread!

Here are a few other events during the winter where we could hook up:

1) FMX at the Palace of Auburn Hills on Saturday, January 25th. Zach and I already have tickets. We went last year; got there a few hours early and were able to walk around the pits, check out the bikes, and talk with the riders. Regardless of how you feel about FMX, it is absolutely jaw-dropping to watch these guys hang it out live and in person. They put on a great show and it's very entertaining. Mucho respect for the conjones these guys have. Check it out at http://www.pacefmx.com and http://pacefmx.com/tickets/x.php?mode=view&tile=1&id=8764462

2) The Supercross at the Silverdome is April 5th, and we plan on going to that as well. Bringing earplugs this time...

As far as the International Motorcycle show, I've never been to one, but figured it'd be a nice way to spend a dreary mid-winter day (it's only 45 minutes from my house). I've read feedback from others, and while it's not geared heavily towards dirt bikes, there is a pretty awsome trials demonstration. Click here for brief blurb: http://dirtrider.net/forums3/showthread.php?threadid=33975&highlight=international+motorcycle+show

And like I mentioned in another thread, a March/April road trip down to Hatfield McCoy would be a nice get-together!
:aj:

P.S. I posted these events in the DRN public calendar.

Last edited:

Drew 674

Jul 25, 2002
Some events....

Arena Cross Jan 3-5 @ Van Andel Grand Rapids

FMX Jan 24-25 @ The Palace Auburn Hills
March 7-8 @ Van Andel Grand Rapids

Supercross March 1, RCA Dome Indianapolis
April 5, Silverdome

At the Silverdome Race, we haul a enclosed car trailer down, with couches, fussball table, grills and a ton of steaks and beer...when it gets closer i'll tell ya guys the spot and everyone is invited!

Smit Dog, i can't find anybody to go to the FMX at the palace, did you get general admission tix?

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
Originally posted by Drew 674
...Smit Dog, i can't find anybody to go to the FMX at the palace, did you get general admission tix?
I have 2 tickets for the Gold Circle. Check out the seating chart here: http://www.pacefmx.com/2003SeatingCharts/03_auburnhills_500.gif

I don't have the tickets in front of me, but I believe that it may be open seating for the type of ticket you purchase. Last year we sat in either section 101, 126, 113, or 114, about 10 rows up. We got there plenty early, so the seating was wide open at first. We sat wherever we wanted. It did fill in as the event progressed.

If you get Gold Circle tickets, and we get there well before the event starts, I don't think it will be any problem hooking up and finding seats together. The pit party beforehand is cool.

Your tailgate at the Silverdome Supercross sounds great! Let us know what section in the parking lot.

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
FMX @ The Palace

Drew -

I looked at the tickets last night. I'm in section 113, row F, seats 7 and 8. Even though there is assigned seating, there were enough open seats around that it wasn't a big deal.

Last edited:

fatherandson

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 3, 2001
Brian, I believe the restaurant you are referring to in BC does not serve adult beverages.  ;)

Drew,  good to hear from you.  How is the shoulder?

Drew 674

Jul 25, 2002
F&S, good to hear from ya...the shoulder is fine, I messed up my knee which is healed (just got the doc's clearence) I'll be in to see you guys at lansing cycle....plus i owe napper for a front tire he donated to me.

fatherandson

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 3, 2001
Time for an update.....I am thinking we should plan a DRN dinner night for the middle of January (to avoid a conflict with arenacross and the FMX) or in February (but I can not remember when the bike show was in Detroit).

I would like to get a group together for a trip to the Silverdome for the Supercross race in April.  I have not been in 10 years.

Another idea....indoor go cart "racing".  Any interest?  The Lansing Cycle Christmas party was held at a place near Owosso.  The go carts were gas powered and painted like the NASCAR drivers.  It was a lot of fun, but I have no idea on the cost.

Please continue to post your thoughts and idea.

Mike

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
F&S - The motorcycle show at Cobo is not until March 15/16. I put it on the DRN calendar, along with the FMX and supercross events. Click the Calendar link at the top of the page to check it out.

A dinner mid-January sounds good! East Lansing again?

A go-cart racing event sounds like fun, but I don't know if I could make it to the one up in Owosso. There's an indoor track about 40 minutes east of my house. Haven't been there, but you can check it out here: www.kart2kart.com

This place would be about 15 minutes east from the Silverdome, if anyone would want to consider doing that along with the supercross event in April.

It's $17 for an 8 minute session, so it goes by pretty quick for the money. That's probably why I wouldn't make the drive up to Owosso for it.

Let me know about a dinner though!

Now, if we can find an indoor track that would allow us to ride one of these, count me in!

Attachments

• a.jpg
    a.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 268
Last edited:

MWEISSEN

Whaasssup?
Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 6, 1999
Smit-Dog, I see February 14 through 16 listed for the Motorcycle Show at Cobo. I was planning on going, but now I'm taking off to Australia on February 14. Battered Sav is lining up a bike for me while I'm there if I have the free time!

There's a cool electric carting site in GR as well F&S. Carting is a BLAST!

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
Hmmmm.... Downtown Detroit in mid-slush winter, or Aussie Land with the chance to ride? I've had a harder time deciding which color socks to wear!

Send a postcard and I'll do the same...

:thumb:

MWEISSEN

Whaasssup?
Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 6, 1999
F&S, there's something wrong with your link, I can't get it to re-direct. Can you just tell us where it is, date? Thanks!

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
Anyone else going to the FMX at the Palace of Auburn Hills this Saturday. Zach and I are going around 5:30pm.

Drew 674

Jul 25, 2002
smit dog sorry forgot to email ya back...i am not going just too much stuff going on and my wife is really sick. have fun, post some pics if ya can.

MWEISSEN

Whaasssup?
Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 6, 1999
My Australia trip is being postponed for a month due to GM US not getting their *#&$! together on things I needed to take care of with them before I left.

So now I'm going to the Cycle World Motorcycle show the weekend of February 14th. Anyone else going?

Asrith

Jul 18, 2001
Hey! Man not been in here for liek to long.!. Going on sat to IFMA. Think trying to get together is good idea...also michigan held the first supercross far as I know, and that would be a hoot if we could all get kick azz seats for like all that made it to trail fest this past year in oct.

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
Originally posted by MWEISSEN
My Australia trip is being postponed for a month due to GM US not getting their *#&$! together on things I needed to take care of with them before I left.
So now I'm going to the Cycle World Motorcycle show the weekend of February 14th. Anyone else going?
MW - Bummer on the Aussie trip, but sounds like you still get to go.

Actually can't make the bike show in February now. We planned a ski trip up in Canada, and will be gone that same weekend. Makes for a better Valentine's weekend for the wife anyway!

Take some pics at the show of anything cool you come across if you do go.

Top Bottom