bobby bo

Mar 4, 2004
weired engine noise 2001 kx250**w/sound

i just got the bike brought to me. i started it and you hear this noise like a baby rattle, like when you kick start the bike and keep the kick lever down makes a wierd noise. is this normal for this bike. i called the owner and he said its done it ever since hes got it.

Last edited:

B

biglou

The kick starter is a ratchet mechanism. Once the motor catches and fires, it's like spinning the a hand ratchet backward when you keep the kick lever down.

bobby bo

Mar 4, 2004
thats the sound the engine is making but the kickstarter is not down. i've heard it on yz250 but not as loud. i called a friend of mine he said his does the same thing 94 kx250. i havent heard it on a 125 is it the bigger engine or something is about to give ( bearings )

chevy383cid

Aug 26, 2005
My 02 does not make any noise like that!!! Infact,it's kinda quiet.I could name alot of things, but I've never heard a smoker make that kind of sound!!

dirt ninja

Feb 20, 2006
noise

I hate to admit that my bike makes that kind of noise. The noise does tone down after my bike warms up though. Im going to have to re-evaluate the noise tomorrow. BTW thanks for the package chevy 383. :cool: BTW my bike is a 02kx 250.

YZ250Anthony

Jun 21, 2006
If your talking about the noise when you push the kick starter all the way down and it makes a noise when its coming back up that is normal my bike does it as well. I dont think any of the 125's do it but im sure most 250's do.

bobby bo

Mar 4, 2004
YZ250Anthony said:
If your talking about the noise when you push the kick starter all the way down and it makes a noise when its coming back up that is normal my bike does it as well. I dont think any of the 125's do it but im sure most 250's do.

it those it while its on, sitting idleing and when you give it gas.. i'll try to load a sound bit later one today.

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
When the crank bearings wore out on my old 01kx250, it made a slight whining noise.. Another thing too check is the head pipe gasket the (copper or brass or whatever it is) one betweek the expansion chamber and the cylinder

KdxChode

Jun 18, 2001
Not sure about the KX's but my KDX is loud as hell. search the KDX forum and you will see a post from just about every new KDX owner about it. I think it's the clutch or KIPS making all the noise. Many people say to put in a little extra oil to quiet it but it doesn't help mine at all and the noise has been there since the bike rolled off the show room.

chevy383cid

Aug 26, 2005
Yes when you do a top end rebuild. But it does not constitly move(only when the powervalve govenor arm pulls out)it is activated,that's when you fell the "powerband''. The noise your hearing is from something else!!You might need to take the clutch cover off and have a good look!!

Top Bottom