Tezzmin

Jul 6, 2003
I own a 93' Cr250r. I bought the bike this year. It has never idled for me. It runs strong and will keep on running until I come to a stop. Then it will stall almost instantly, unless I keep blipping the throtle. So I took out the carb. today and cleaned everything. Put it back together and adjusted the idle screw "out" about 3 turns. It was 2 turns out from in all the way before I adjusted it. This seems to have helped. Now it will idle for about ten seconds before it wants to stall. I noticed the clip on my jet needle is 2nd from top. So my question is how do I get this thing to stay running without always blipping the throtle? Is it running to lean or to rich?? Is it something else?

bigc

Jun 3, 2003
You can turn the idle up.(screw that raises throttle slide)I have never owned a 2-stroke that idles for a long length of time,they are not made to idle.

Tezzmin

Jul 6, 2003
I wasn't sure how they should idle. I am trying to sell it and don't want anyone looking at it to question why it won't stay at a idle. Besides that the thing runs awesome.

PeterJ

Aug 15, 2003
I own a '95 CR250 and it does not have a typical idle adjustment. Your '93 may have the same set up. Try turning your choke knob. If it has quarter turn detents, keep track of what you adjust. This set up bypasses the slide, which is not adjustable.

Tezzmin

Jul 6, 2003
Originally posted by PeterJ
I own a '95 CR250 and it does not have a typical idle adjustment. Your '93 may have the same set up. Try turning your choke knob. If it has quarter turn detents, keep track of what you adjust. This set up bypasses the slide, which is not adjustable.

Our bikes should be the same. So your saying I can turn the choke assembly(loosen) it a little and this will raise the rpm's? I had the carb apart and noticed the choke is threaded in.

bigc

Jun 3, 2003
Originally posted by bigc
You can turn the idle up.(screw that raises throttle slide)I have never owned a 2-stroke that idles for a long length of time,they are not made to idle.
sorry i was thinking Yamaha with the idle screw,i beleive peter is correct with turning the choke knob!

WR250Z

Sep 21, 1999
Typically the mx bikes don't have an idle circuit. What you're finding is the normal way an mx bike idles....for a few seconds then dies if the throttle isn't blipped.

zero_it

~SPONSOR~
May 20, 2000
Properly tuned 2-strokes can and will idle just fine. I believe that the '93 CR has a Keihin PJ series carb where the low speed idle and choke are the same circuit. The choke knob is also the idle adjustment and can be turned by hand without loosening the choke body. It will control within a narrow band from about 1/2 turn open up to 3 turns or so open. Beyond that and the bike will not idle correctly, as the choke circuit is open and it runs too rich at idle. Going back to 2 turns open like you mentioned is the right direction.

Other possibilities affecting idle are a clogged air filter, bad reeds (chipped, cracked, hanging open), weak spark, choked up exhaust (muffler packing needs to be replaced), ignition timing not set correctly, low compression. Keep after it and you can end up with a smoothly idling CR 250.

TexKDX

~SPONSOR~
Aug 8, 1999
Turn the choke knob counter clockwise when looking at it from the top to raise the idle. You still have to make sure your pilot jet and air screw are set right as well for your altitude, fuel, and engine mods in order to have it idle correctly.

Top Bottom