Dirtknobs

Apr 16, 2006
Ok, heres the deal. I have the opportunity to buy a 1994 cr 125 in very good condition for 900$ canadien. the only thing is that it needs a new piston and rings. I have hardly any experience with bikes but with the owners manual i think i should be fine. Considering my experience and the price of repairs what do you guys think?

Moose

~SPONSOR~
Sep 16, 2006
I bought mine for $2100, it was running, in excellent shape and has a 133CC big bore kit.

Not sure how much piston and rings cost, but if everything else is in good shape, given you have the skill to install the piston and rings, get it.

Dirtknobs

Apr 16, 2006
hey thanks, thats the thing i don't know exactly what replacing a piston and rings entails. I do have access to tools. I think with the owners manual i should be fine. Any suggestions? Also does anyone know how much a new piston and rings go for?

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
Does the bike run currently? It's one thing for the current owner to speculate that all it needs is a new top end to run properly, it's another to know that's a fact. For the piston rings and all gaskets you'll need for the job you will be able to get all the parts for less that $200 CDN if you shop around. However if the cylinder is trashed then the job suddenly becomes much more expensive. If the bike is a non runner but the chassis and all seems decent I'd consider offering the owner $400-$500. Anyone selling that bike in non running condition either does not know exactly why it doesn't run and wants to dump it, or is too lazy to do the work and needs to dump it, either way you win.

Dirtknobs

Apr 16, 2006
Yeah i shouldn't have left this out. In the ad it says that the bike has a performance cylinder that is chromed, so it does not scratch. So you just have to plop in a new piston. It also has a reinforced head with a fmf pipe. So from what you guys are saying I should snatch this thing up?

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
If it don't run offer him 6 and tell him the bottom end probably needs to be rebuilt.Find out who and with what it got plated.Reinforced head??????Is that Canadian for something?

Dirtknobs

Apr 16, 2006
I am in Montreal so the ad is in french. Reinforced head is the direct translation from french. I don't know what it should be in english. Also, even though it needs a new piston the bike should run right?

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
That is the thing,are you gonna take his word? Is the cylinder,head good? Is the bottom end good and ready for assembly.For 600,you could tear it apart and know what is in there,his price it better work!

Chili

Apr 9, 2002
Dirtknobs said:
Yeah i shouldn't have left this out. In the ad it says that the bike has a performance cylinder that is chromed, so it does not scratch. So you just have to plop in a new piston. It also has a reinforced head with a fmf pipe. So from what you guys are saying I should snatch this thing up?

Almost all bikes from 1990 and on have plated cylinders and this does not mean you can not damage them. Break a piston skirt or toss a circlip and there is going to be damage that can be expensive to repair. Unless the top end is worn way beyond usage the bike should run, if it doesn't run simply because the owner claims the top end is worn out I would suspect the bike was not taken care of very well and would offer a low amount to count on it taking me $800 or so to bring the bike up to my standards.

sarN

Apr 1, 2007
one thing that ive learned, is that unless you have a discount on parts, you will spend more money than it would be worth. however, experience cannot be bought, so if one of your goals is to learn how to work on bikes, then by all means go for it.

snb73

Nov 30, 2003
I bought a 1993 RM250 for $750. It needed a a new top end immediately, but it did run. It needed a bottom end within 6 months.

I think $500-$600 is reasonable if it runs.

Good luck, Steve.

Chili

Apr 9, 2002
snb73 said:
I think $500-$600 is reasonable if it runs.

Different markets bring different prices, from my experience anything that actually runs in Canada will sell for $1000 to start. If the bike runs and isn't a total roach it is a very good deal up here at $900.

Moose

~SPONSOR~
Sep 16, 2006
save 200-300 more dollars and buy one in running condition. i seen a '93 CR125 not too long ago for $1300. sure it's a bit off of what you're going to pay for the 94 CR but you could probably knock him down a couple hundred, and you'll have a running bike. in all honesty, I wouldn't buy a non-running bike unless it was from someone who i had a good sense of trust for, or it's a bike that i can go through before i decide whether or not i should purchase it. there are just too many possible surprises.

Dirtknobs

Apr 16, 2006
Ahh! Turns out it was just sold. I was kind of looking forward to checking it out. Well i guess i should look into a running bike given my knowledge of bikes. Anyway i really appreciate everyones input. Keep doing what your doing!

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom