dangerous dan

Sep 11, 2009
ok, guys. My older brother has this bike that i'm considering buying and im just not sure if its worth it. Its a 95 KX250 and it has:

FMF fatty pipe
FMF silencer, i think.
Skin graphics
DG radiator guards and master cylinder guard.
Pro tapor contour bars
Pro tapor triple clamp.
turbo paddle tire.
polished parts
and a racing sub frame

So please tell me what you think it'd be worth.

thanks in advance.

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
It's darn near impossible to tell you what the bike is worth sight unseen. I can venture a wild guess and say somewhere between $500 - $1000. Maybe a bit more if it's in great shape and well maintained, maybe a bit less if it's in need of general service like bearings, top end, etc.

Welcome to the forums BTW!

Gage`s Dad

Aug 28, 2009
Go to Kelly Blue Book.com and it has a listing for motorcycles. It would give you an idea. Like was said above alot depends on the condition of the bike.

Gage`s Dad

Aug 28, 2009
Are you talking about all the after market goodies you listed as options to choose from? We just bought a bike for just about what it was listed for on KBB and it has nearly the asking price in after market stuff on it. Plus a seat, all original plastic, seals, gaskets, manuals and something I`ve probably forgot about.

Bottom line. If you know the history of the bike and its in good shape and close the the price at KBB and also, if you think its a fair deal, then go for it.

dangerous dan

Sep 11, 2009
ok, thanks. which on should i be going after? trade in or retail?

trade in was $920 and
retail was $1435

so we know the history, and he's asking 1,650 so i think im smelling a bad deal?

abd thanks to all who's helped...

jb_dallas

Feb 17, 2009
$1650 is high for that bike. That bike would sell for about $1000...maybe $1200 around here. A few months ago, I bought a 2001 XR400 that looks brand new for $1800. The only thing it needed was rear tire because the guy rode it on paved roads. The plastics, rotors, chain, sprockets..even the pegs look new.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
Bike prices are super low around here. There's a like new 06 yz250f for 2k bucks right now. That kx might fetch 800?

Rooster

Today's Tom Sawyer
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 24, 2000
In my experience, pretty parts don't really bring the market value up. Stick with the book value as best as you can.

jb_dallas

Feb 17, 2009
Let me first state that I look/listen for everything when I buy a used bike...engine noise, fork seal leaks, engine oil/coolant leaks, rotor wear, sprocket wear, chain wear, wheel stress cracks..etc. Ive found that "pretty parts" can be an indicator of wear. I disagree that it does not increase value. Cosmetic items such as worn pegs, worn frame paint, worn clutch covers, beat up plastics, etc can be an indicator of a bikes history. My 2001 XR didnt have a scratch on it...anywhere and it passed all of the mechanical tests. You dont think that bike is worth more than a bike that looks like its had the hell beat out of it for 8 years? If not, Ive got a 99 YZ400 I would like to sell you.

Last edited:

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
I think by "pretty parts" he meant fancy aftermarket goodies like pipes and rims. Those don't offer much if any return. A bike in pristine stock condition will bring more than the same model all modded out with lots of hours.

jb_dallas

Feb 17, 2009
ahh...aftermarket parts...in that case, I agree they dont add much value. At the end of the day, I wouldnt pay more than a grand for the bike..if its mechanically sound.

Rooster

Today's Tom Sawyer
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 24, 2000
All set on the 400 ;) Thanks for the clarification Joe. "pretty parts" very often are nothing more than makeup covering up some real ugliness.

Top Bottom