bmonnig

~SPONSOR~
Nov 10, 2002
Guys,

Nothing new or earth shattering here, but I just wanted to mention how happy I am with my bike.  :yeehaw:

A few weeks ago I installed the "new to me" used PC pipe on my '00 KDX 200.  The pipe came with a silencer as well, but I left the stock unit on the bike.  I like it quiet.  I also installed a 12t front sprocket, '98 XR 400 front springs (left 20 mm of spacer, which is too much), and removed the airbox lid. 

I've not been able to get a good feel for the bike since then.  Here in mid-MO we've been hit by one snowfall after another.  This means it's either really snowy, or really muddy.  Both are fun, but the rear just spins up so I couldn't really gauge power changes.  It did rev noticably faster after pipe installation.  Throttle response also seemed improved, with more precise feel.

Today I took the bike out for a spin, since the snow is gone and I've got some non-muddy areas to ride.  Wow.  First gear is almost too steep to use, but that will come in handy in rock-crawling situations.  2nd is a rippin beast, as well as 3rd!  The combination of PC pipe, 12t sprocket and removed airbox lid rock!  I was running through the gears going up our driveway.  Not leaning back, just a relaxed sit-down stance on the bike while ripping through the gears.  I realized it was pulling the front off the ground in 3rd.  Not gingerly, but "if I don't let off it'll eventually go over".  :aj:

I'm very happy with it currently.  It feels like I have the stock low end, with a *greatly* improved top end.  I'm sure the low end is due to the 12t sprocket.  The PC pipe gives some high-end power, quick revs, and good throttle response.  The 12t sprocket mechanically gives back some low end power that the pipe takes away.

The XR springs feel *much* better than stock.  I didn't realize why the bike felt so "weird" before.  Now I know what a balanced KDX feels like!  (for my 185 lb weight).  I used a pipe cutter to cut the stock metal preload tubes down.  This kept the cuts square, and made them clean.  I filed/sanded off any burrs.  I like the idea of the metal spacers better than PVC.  I left 20mm of spacer, which is too much.  Easier to cut down, though, than to add on.

A friend of mine, who has owned/rode a CR 500 since his early (yes, *early*) teens spent some time on my KDX.  He also owns a '95 YZ 250, won many regional MX races as a kid, and is currently a (club) championship winning roadracer.  I value his input.

When riding my stock bike he thought it was pretty much a "turd", with a crappy front end.  ;)   Nothing unexpected there!  After riding in the above config, though, he was very impressed.  He said it handled a lot better, felt more planted, and ran *much* more like a MX 250 than he would have expected.  I've not spent time on an MX 250, but for a newbie like me, all that is good stuff to hear!  Especially for an expense of less than $160 for everything (pipe, silencer, sprocket, springs).  :thumb:

Sorry for the waste of space...I just wanted to say I'm tickled with my bike!  Now if I can just find a used FMF torque to experiment with, and I desperately need to get a skidplate/handguards...

Brandon

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
No waste of space there. You give a great example of how much the KDX can be improved with a minimum investment.

It would have been better if you never told your CR500 friend about the mods. This way when you smoke on the trails he would have thought you had super-human riding ability!

Tom Ludolff

Oct 3, 2002
Cheap, Easy Skid Plate -- Get a 12" X 24" aluminum tread plate from the home center. Bend , cut, and U-bolt on. Looks cool and works great!!! Only $25, u-bolts included!!

Top Bottom