ssuperbike

Dec 5, 2000
I have heared of this being done. I have it apart and am getting ready to put it back together. I could use some more top end and could use a taller 5th gear, any one done this? I know it has been done, does it leave a huge gap? How about the lower first? Do I only need to buy the 5th gear and pinion? I love this bike and plan to keep it another year or two any input would be great. Thanks, ---Mike msg-law@msn.com

techman

Feb 18, 2000
You'll have to look up some really old posts to find the info, either here or at thumpertalk. One of the first guys was in Australia and I think he did 4/5 and maybe also 1st from the wr into his YZ. One day if it works out for you I may do 5th in mine for those road sections with the XR650's.

KiwiBird

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 30, 2000
Changing first requires the whole shaft and a gear, changing 5th is 2 gears. Works great, with the gaps not really a problem.

NVR FNSH

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2000
Check with Howard Huge in the WR400 forum at Thumpertalk. He fitted his YZ400 with WR gears (or whole tranny?) when he rebuilt it.

Brian

ssuperbike

Dec 5, 2000
Thanks guys! I am going to see if I can get the gears quickly or I will be putting it together stock. This thing has been apart forever and I want to go riding!!!! ---Mike

techman

Feb 18, 2000
When you get the real parts, installed, done and bugs out maybe you could post the part#s and any gotcha's you encountered in the procedure? It would be appreciated for reference sake if/when I do it.

kciH

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 28, 2002
In another thread on here, Rich figured it will go 88.93 with fresh tread and stock gearing. It's my experience with my 01' that it will do that in a fairly big hurry. I'm intested in the WR gearing because I ride in the woods also. I'd take a WR first and fifth gear. You will never use those 2 on a motocross track.

Top Bottom