TSFranklin

Feb 5, 2001
I have had this bike for 2 months and after making the needed changes (throttle stop, baffle & air box) I quickly fell in love. However, now I seem to have a pretty good front seal leak on the left side. It came on real quick and seems to be pretty bad (to a beginner.) My 97 KDX never had any leaking. Should I get it fixed at $180.00 and say it's just a fluke? A riding buddy said to start putting in fork oil every time I ride and that ALL bikes leak. Just does not seem right. How do I know when it really does need the seals replaced?

------------------

cujet

Aug 13, 2000
It really is not hard to fix if you have tools and ability. I had a leaking fork seal due to a grain of sand lodged in the lip of the seal. I cleaned it out with a plastic tie wrap and the leak never returned.

Good luck

Chris

------------------
94 Husky 360 2 stroke, Street legal,(gotta clear my throat now)! Ported engine, FMF pipe, kehin PWK carb, full knobbies, Pro Action Showa suspension, Pro tapers. 50HP

motoman393

Nov 12, 2000
all you have to do is...slide a film negative inbetween the seal and the inner fork tube and rotate it around 2 times and clean good w/contact cleaner (make sure you take the dust seal off first though)! Mine leaked after 3 rides and hasnt leaked since this fix! You also can pack axle grease inbetween the dust seal and the oil seal... Check out http://www.thumpertalk.com they have a great YZ/WR250F forum and those guys can probably tell you anything you want to know about your bike! Hope this helps.

Garrett

------------------
I get my kicks on a 2001' YZ426!

bentbarz

Dec 16, 2000
TS,

If you remember, I think you got yours about a month after I did. About a month ago I had both seals replaced (only cost $60 to have both done T and M). I think the key is to thoroghly clean the forks and keep some grease under the seals. I have used a business card to keep dried crud from underneath the dust seals. The guy that rebuilt mine "crosshatched" the tubes. He also advised that he has seen many people have the problem of premature failure on the KYB forks. His opinion was that the bushing was too loose which allowed for excessive movement and leaking.

------------------
That's gonna leave a mark!

CAB

Nov 18, 1999
You shouldn't have a seal go bad on a new bike after only two months (unless, maybe, its a KTM- just kidding). Try the film negative trick. I cut a piece out of a 1 litre pop bottle. Lift the cap, run the plastic around a few times shoot it w/contact cleaner, see if leak goes away. Your friend is wrong. You shouldn't have to live w/a fork leak on a brand new bike. What's he riding- a 78' Maico?

------------------

TSFranklin

Feb 5, 2001
Thanks for the film tip. I tried it last night and after riding around the block it seems to have worked. I'll give it a good test this weekend!! -- I did ride in sandy conditions a couple weeks ago - I am sure that was it. That sand it a whole different animal to ride on - I think I'll stick with something more stable. I have already had one knee surgery.

------------------

Buckholz

Mar 15, 2000
Check the chromed part of your fork leg for a ding. Betting you got one, which ate the seal. If minor, sand down the ding with emory cloth.

------------------

Top Bottom