bbullet

Apr 13, 2002
I have a 96 XR250 that I've only had a few days. Yesterday, it lost a master link, so I got a new one today and installed it. During inspection I noticed the countershaft sprocket "fixing plate" was not in the correct position on the sprocket/ shaft. There is a recessed groove in the shaft where this "fixing plate" is rotated into position , locking the sprocket onto the shaft and spacing it correctly from the engine cases. However, I noticed that this "fixing plate"'s holes were offset closer on one side and farther on the other from the center of the plate(where the shaft would be). The sprocket , on the other hand,has holes that are equally centered from the center of the shaft. How they got these holes to line up is beyond me. So it would seem that I should have a sprocket with offset holes to match the "fixing plate's" eccentricity, or I have the wrong fixing plate. The sprocket seemed to have too much "float" on the shaft before I removed it. The sprockets and chain have been replaced. It appears to have thrown the chain before, because the cases just above the countershaft chain guard mount is cracked and a piece is gone. If the sprocket is too far one way or the other on the shaft ,would it put weird loads on the chain? I am planning on replacing all the sprockets and chain very soon.

lemme get your ideas....

Top Bottom