XR 250 exhaust leak

Oct 23, 2005
Hey all, I have a xr 250 that has a duel exhaust coming out of the cylinder head. ( Sorry if Iim using the wrong terms, im not much of a tech). Well anyway, one of the points were the exhaust connects to the cylinder head has a HUGE leak, the gasket fell out and ive been trying to use exhaust putty for a while and its not working... Well my question was when the gaskets are installed again, How much more power will i get from my bike, I never rode the bike with a tight seal on that exhaust. Will I notice a small or significant change is speed, power, anything else? Sorry im not much of a tech and know a small deal about engines, I would assume it would gain some power but thats why im askin u guys. Thanks, :)

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Other than the noise factor, I doubt if you will notice much difference. I wouldn't run it that way though.

Just my $ .02

Oct 23, 2005
What damage would be caused if i ran it that way for a few months of weekend riding?

Last edited:

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
paintbller8000 said:
What damage would be caused if i ran it that way for a few months of weekend riding?

You are only talking about replacing a couple of copper o-rings. Will probably cost a couple of dollars each and take about one hour to install, if you really take your time. Why not just fix it right and not have to worry about it.

I would not run it like that. Hot exhaust valves don't like cold air.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…