tn_tuxedo

Oct 9, 2004
Is there some special Honda tool needed to remove the spark plug from a pre '96 XR 250? I cannot get my handy 5/8" plug socket to fit onto the plug. Yes, it is a 5/8" plug. I have tried everything including shaking a dead chicken over it.
I can slip the socket over the plug, but I think the head is preventing me from getting the socket at the right angle to grab hold. It's like my socket needs to be hourglass shaped to fit correctly in the gnat's a$$ little opening.
So, am I just having a moment here or was this a "feature" of this motor?

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Yes. it does take a special plug wrench.

If you don't have the factory plug wrench, you can loosen the plug with your deep socket and then place a short length of rubber hose (Gas line) over the end of the plug to unscrew and remove it.

pjk_xr250r

Jul 2, 2007
I have a plug socket thing out of a fourtrax 125 tool kit. Works a treat. Just have to have something to slip over the end, to do the tightening/loosening.

crrod

Aug 14, 2006
It is an 18mm plug. Takes a real thin wall socket to get in that groove (same as a 79 CB605 BTW). I've seen Motion Pro sell a 18mm deep well socket for Honda's. I have a Snap-On that happens to be thin enough to fit.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom