XR 6 CRANK SPLITTING/BUILDING.HOW TO??

ANDY HOLLAND

Apr 13, 2001
HELP!!I OWN A XR 600 RT (96)I NEED TO HOW TO GET THE BALANCER GEAR OFF THE CRANK AND ALSO THE CORRECT WAY FROM THERE TO SPLIT IT AND FIT A NEW CONROD(PISTON ROD).I WAS TOLD ITS AN AWKWARD JOB!!WHERE/WHEN OR EVEN DO YOU APPLY HEAT ETC?.THE XR ISNT THAT COMMON IN THE U.K SO I DONT KNOW WHO TO APPROACH,BUT ALL I DO KNOW IS I WANT MY ONLY TRUE LOVE TO BE BETTER AGAIN!ANY TIPS WILL BE GREATLY APPRECIATED.IN ANTICIPATION!!THANX

------------------

Shaw520

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 14, 2000
Andy, Taking the engine down that far will require a fair bit of knowledge and experience. My suggestion to you is to attain a good shop manual.

------------------

AMA
BRC

ANDY HOLLAND

Apr 13, 2001
SHAW520.THATS WHERE I AM NOW,THANKS TO CLYMER
ITS BEEN TO BARE METAL AND IS NOW POWDER COATED ETC.I AM WORKING WITH SOMEONE WHO CAN BUILD CRANKS,BUT HE'S A LITTLE EDGY ABOUT DOING MINE!!I'M TRYING TO GET THE KNOW HOW FROM SOMEONE WHO'S BEEN THERE AND DONE IT!!
SO TO SPEAK.
NB!CLYMER MANUAL STATES TO USE A DEALER ETC
FOR THIS WORK!WHICH I AM DOING BUT LOOK WHERE
ITS GOT ME !!

------------------

Shaw520

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 14, 2000
Andy, I understand your frustration, at this point a GOOD shop manual is worth its weight in gold. I'm surprised the Clymer does not detail the splitting of the cases and such. Maybe a more informative manual is in order?! Good luck!

------------------

AMA
BRC

ANDY HOLLAND

Apr 13, 2001
SHAW520.CHEERS!HAVE YOU EVER SEEN A GROWN MAN CRY!!??
IT WILL GET DONE SOME HOW,SOME WAY,SOON!!
WHEN IT IS, I'LL TELL YOU 1'ST !!
THANKS FOR THE SYPATHETIC EAR !!

------------------

sunwolf

Jul 1, 2000
To remove the balancer turn the crankshaft so the punch marks on the balancer and crankshaft are aligned, then lift the balancer shaft out of its bearings.
As regards the removal of the crankshaft a press is required. If you have a press, place the left crankcase half in a the press and press out the crankshaft. The ball bearing may remain in the crankcase or come out with the the crankshaft.
The best way to change the connecting rod is to replace the crankshaft and connecting rod as an assembly.

If you need more info you can email me at:
sunwolf@maltanet.net

------------------

Top Bottom