W.P.EXC

Nov 30, 2000
Hey thumper dudes, I have never posted here as I'm usually over on the euro board. I come to you guys for some advice on a bike for my dad. I don't know alot about these 3 bikes so thought I'd ask someone who does. My dad is 50+ years old, 5 foot 9 and 160lbs. He will be riding generally easy trails and a little on the road to the trails. He wants a 250-350 or so. Could you guy's give me some advice on which bike he should get? I thought of XR,DR,& KLX, any others to think about? If not which of these do you think would be best for him? It has to be a four stroke, and be 95 or newer. Thanks for any input.
:cool:

SpeedyManiac

Aug 8, 2000
I would vote for an XR250R or DRZ250E. My dad rides a 78 XL250S and really likes it, the bike is perfect for trails and fireroads, though sometimes he wishes that he had bought the 350.

teton

Dec 13, 2000
Becuase of his size, I would think that the KLX 300 would be a good bike, lots of things that can be done to it if he needs to personalize it, and the price should be good for a used one.

One Dollar

Mar 15, 2001
Considering his age and desire for easy trails I would lean to the DRZ solely for the electric start. The KLX is MUCH lighter and handles better but if he is going to dual sport and ride easily then he won't fall much and the extra 330-40 lbs that the drz is won't matter.

Marklx

May 24, 2001
Check out the August issue of Dirt Rider, with the add-in "starter kit" pamplet. Gives a brief rundown of the pros and cons of each bike. Sings the praises for the KLX, which because I own one, must be the one I'd recommend.:D

Mark G.

W.P.EXC

Nov 30, 2000
Thanks

Well thanks for all your input, I think he's leaning towards the KLX due to the weight. He is a smaller guy and wants a bike as light as possible. He has been riding a 1986 XL 250 since 1986 and wanted something newer and with a little more power. I talked him into buying my neighbors 1995 KTM 620 RXC, as my neighbor was moving and sold it for only two grand and is a very clean unit with little mileage. We both new it may not work but thought he should try it since it was such a good deal! Well now he knows what he doesn't want! It was just to big for him. So if anyone in the Colorado area is interested in the KTM shoot me an e-mail, he will take what he payed for it. Again thanks to everyone who replied.:D

scar tissue

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 27, 2000
Here's my 2 cents: get the KLX simply for the lower cost of used ones they give good performance for play riding, and can be hopped up if you'd like . I like the xr 400 alot but they are usually $1000.00 more. and wieght 20-30 lbs more. The klx is also shorter, a you siad he's not that tall. :cool:

scar tissue

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 27, 2000
Hey MarkKLX:

I recently picked up a KLX 340, and was trying to go to planet KLX I noticed you recomended it to someone else. Could you tell me,what's the trick, I joined the yahoo group but the only page I can go to is the 1st yahoo groups main page nothing else on it is clickable. 2nd when I type in planet klx it has a big green page then links me to the yahoo group page from which all links are closed?:confused:

thanks,

Scar

Marklx

May 24, 2001
Scartissue,

Sorry 'bout the email box being full. I've since deleted a few messages to clean it up. Regarding the yahoo planetklx site, you've got to be a member and subscribe to the group. It was kind of mickey mouse getting that done, but once subscribed, I could send and receive e-mails. Check the main yahoo group page for details on the membership/subscription setup. It's worth it, as there is a great amount of knowledge and experience from the people posting there. Let me know if it still doesn't work, and I'll post on the site for some help from others.

Mark

scar tissue

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 27, 2000

glenncal1

May 24, 2001
WP-Fay Meyers has an ad for new 2001 xr400s for $4k don't think that is a bad deal. Is that KTM the dual sport model. If so I might be interested. Can you post or send me some details.'
'
Jim

glenncal1

May 24, 2001
WP-I seem to be having problems receiving emails through forum lists (I am trying to buy a golf club off another forum and can't get emails from there either), please try sending the email directly from your email program to
glenncal1@msn.com. I won't be able to check it until this afternoon, thanks
Jim

KDXTim

Sep 29, 2000
W.P.EXC

There is an ad in the RMEC classifieds for a 1998 KAWASAKI KLX 300R, RACED FOR ONE YEAR. FMF PIPE, SCOTT SHOCKS. NEW PLASTIC. NEW CARB, HANDLE BARS OVER $3200 INVESTED. ASKING $2300. You may want to check it out. www.racermec.org
Shoot me a line if you want to go ride sometime. There are a few of us that try to ride after work during the week in Woodland Park / Divide .

Top Bottom