hondaboss

Apr 4, 2000
Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to firm up the forks/shock on an xr200. They are mush!. Muddy trails and ditches w sharp edges be tough. thanks

Lorin

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 25, 1999
The first thing I would do is change to stiffer springs, etc, on the front and rear for your weight. Other than that, you can throw money at it for awhile but for all sakes and purposes, you are better off riding until you meet the limits of the bike and then upgrading to another bike. I have some time on a 91 xr 200 and I ended up putting some forks from an xr 250 on it which helped considerably (they are a little bigger and sprung heavier) and also gave the baby xr a front disk brake in the process. The bike is my girlfriends bike (about 115 lbs), but with these mods, I can ride it for some casual roosting and trail riding (I weigh 185 lbs). The bike will still show its limits quickly at anything past 3rd gear with me on it. I love the bike, but realize that it has limits and that ultimately it is more reasonable to pick up another bike with better suspension than it is to spend inordinate amounts of money on this one. Besides, this bike is my girlfriends and is well within her riding ability and I expect it will stay that way for some time to come. :cool:

slideways11

Sponsoring Member
Apr 18, 2000
I put a Works shock and Race Tech fork springs in my wifes xr 200 and it really helped the handling alot. Used Mobile 1 atf in the forks and went +10 cc over the recomended fill quantity. Jeff at MX South can sort the parts for you. Roost on!
01cr250 99xr200

hondaboss

Apr 4, 2000
Lorin & Slideways, Thanks for the input. The suggestions were very helpfull & should improve my lower key trail riding. Thanks again:)

Top Bottom