APFornadel

Apr 1, 2002
Hey everyone. Last July, I purchased a new 2002 XR200, and it worked beautifully. Now, however, I can't get it to start and run. I have gotten it to turn over a few times, but it just dies. Can anyone make any suggestions as to how to get my bike going for the upcoming season? I would appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

atc3434`

~SPONSOR~
Nov 1, 2001
Sounds like carb trouble. If you didn't drain all the gas before you put it up for the winter... this alone could be the problem. Fuel that sits for a long time can clog up the little oficies in a carb. Also, old gas is never good with a bike... definatly fill up with fresh gas. A tear down and cleaning of the carb might also be needed. Clean up the airfilter while your at it too! :-) Maintence is the key to a good running bike.

jaypro55

Aug 6, 2001
Definetely sounds like carb trouble to me. Those bikes are bulletproof. If you did leave gas in it all winter without running it or without draining it the stuff left in your carb probably varnished and may have caused things to get dirty and clogged inside your carb. Try taking it if the air filter solution doesn't help and cleaning things out. Also if you had it sit outside over the winter you may have gotten some moisture in some of the electrical components which could be causing a lack of spark. That's more unlikely though. Good luck.

APFornadel

Apr 1, 2002
Thanks a bunch guys. I am sorta new to bike maintenence, so i am probably going to take it to a shop of some sort, unless someone can walk me through cleaning the carb. Oh yeah, I did leave gas in it by mistake (I thought I drained it), and it was in a roofed shed all winter, so moisture shouldn't be the problem. The air filter is relatively clean, but it could use a good purging. Once again, thanks for the help.

atc3434`

~SPONSOR~
Nov 1, 2001
Doing a carb cleaning really isn't too difficult. I'm no expert... but I did have the carb off an XR200 last week, and I need to work on it more tomorrow, so I can try and give you a guide.
First, shut off the gas, and disconnect the fuel line, at the carberator. You might need some pliers to squeeze the little clamp... and a twisting motion usually brings the fuel line of the nipple, they can be quite tight. Then you will need to loosen the collar on the front of the carb (Back of the bike.) Loosen this almost all the way, it'll make it much easier to connect the airbox back up later. Unbolt the carberator from the manifold by removing the two nuts at the back of the carb. Easy the carb off the studs. Now unscrew the top of the carberator, right were the throttle cable goes in. Be careful, there is a compressed spring in here, so go easy. When you get this all the way off, gently pull out the needle and slide.
Now you have the carberator off the bike. Make sure the needle and slide arn't resting in an dirt, and go drain the carb. I just remove the big bolt right on the bottom, although there is a drain screw you can back out, the gas will run down the vent tube. Now you can remove the float bowl by removing the three screws on the underside of the carb. Don't loose the little plastic thingy in there, that goes back around the mainjet when you put it all back together. Now get your can of carb cleaner, and start spraying out all the passeges. A little compressed air can work good to help blow them out. Make sure you get everything, the main, the pilot, the two little air passes up front.
Now just put it back together in reverse order. Don't forget the little plastic thing around the main jet. You can't put it on wrong, its got a slot that it lines up on. One last thing to remember, is the slide only goes in one way. If you look down where the slide goes, you'll see the idle screw sticking out on one side, and a little metal post on the other. These have to line up with slide properly.
Its not really a tough job, don't be afraid to try and tackle it. Worst comes to worst, you'll just have to bring the mechanic the bike already disassembled.
One other thing... you can find a rough parts diagram at BIKEBANDIT.com. Wasn't that great of a quality, but might be useful. Good Luck!!! ;)

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom