pjw

Jul 26, 2003
I am 39, 6'0'', 190 lbs and want to get back into riding. I rode MX and enduro bikes in my teenage years and have recently been riding ATVs with my kids. I'm not a novice, but not very skilled either. I am looking fo a bike that is good on tight trails, but also lets me do some low jumping on small MX tracks. I want a low maintenance four stroke and do not want to be riding flat out all the time. Bike weight is important to me. I have looked at all the major manufacturers and I think I have narrowed it down to the KLX 300 or XR250. The Yamaha WR250 looks interesting too, but I think it is more than I need or want. The TTR-250 seemed uncomfortable. The CRF230F seems too small, and the Suzuki 250 seems heavy. The KLX300 looks great on the specs and feels comfortable when I sit on it, but the XR250 seems to be a lot more popular. Any advice would be appreciated.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
My opinion is you get more bang for your buck with the KLX.  Either bike will benefit from some suspension and motor work, but the KLX is better stock vs. stock and has far more hop-up potential.   It's a sweet handling bike in the woods.

BTW, I used to have an XR250 w/280 big bore, and my buddy had a modified KLX 331cc that I rode several times.  The Hondas are nice and very reliable, and the bikes are very comparable, but I like the green one better.

nvdirtbiker

Jun 30, 2003
Stock bike vs stock bike...I actually preferred riding the Honda xr250..the klx just didnt seem at all like it had an extra 50cc! And If I were to actually buy either bike..i'd go for the honda. Awesome relability, cult status (aftermarket goodies galore). I just like bikes that last...and Hondas last, hold thier value well, and look great for a long long time!

d.u.g.

May 23, 2003
The XR is cheaper to hop-up,too,and Honda even offers "power-up" kits for it.XR'Ss have great re-sale,too.
That advice you got on maybe getting the XR400 is good advice.That's a great,fun to ride,dependable machine,and you won't get bored with it.Doug

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
If you go with the larger bike, I would look very closely at the DRZ400/KLX400 (same bike, different plastic).  Though the XR400 has more low end torque, the DRZ feels lighter and has better performance in every other way (IMO, of course).

blanc

Dec 18, 2002
Just a note Trail Bike Magazine described the drz400s stock forks and shock when pushed as 'down right dangerous'!! Search into it!

Top Bottom