Weedman420

May 15, 2007
XR Carb Problem

Hey, I bought a used 1999 XR400 a few days ago.

It had been sitting for 2 years. When we went to go test ride it, it would not idle so we always had to give it gas.

I cleaned the airfilter, drained old gas(tank+carb), new spark plug.

We have taken apart the carb and cleaned the jets with spray and compressed air- did not remove or touch any. The carb looked alright.

Now after messing with the pilot screw and throttle idle screw,
the bike now idles rough with choke on, but once we put the choke in the half-way or off, it revs to high rpms then dies afterwards unless I keep giving it a little gas.(Spark plug carbonated- rich mixture)

So, I dont know whether to take out the carb again- clean it some more and take the jets out(check for damage) then rejet it. Could be clogged lines?

OR

Should I just take it to this to the shop pay a few hundred dollars for probably a simple carb problem?

please reply with any suggestions or what you think could be the problem

Thanks

Last edited:

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Weedman420 said:
bike now idles rough with choke on, but once we put the choke in the half-way or off, it revs to high rpms then dies

So, I dont know whether to take out the carb again- clean it some more and take the jets out(check for damage) then rejet it. Could be clogged lines?

When a bike won't idle except with the choke on, that would be a clogged pilot jet. Take your carb off and turn it upside down. Remove the float bowl and there will be a tall jet in the center of the carb. (Main jet) There will be a small hole next to the main jet with a slotted jet inside. (Pilot jet). Take a small screwdriver and remove the pilot jet and also the air adjuster screw on the side of the carb and blow air through those passageways. Also remove the main jet and clean the jet.

That would be a good place to start.

Top Bottom