pivotpoint

Mar 7, 2004
Spent most of the evening searching for info on sprocket and exhaust modifications. I'm having a tough time finding sprocket advice and hope someone here can help.

I have a 2000 XR400 that I bought new and is completly stock. OEM gearing is 45 - 15 . I do all of my riding on tight wooded trails in Vermont. I'd like to modify my sprocket(s) to allow for more low end. The gearing is to high for the riding I do and I almost never get out of 3rd gear.

Has anyone had any experience with changing their rear and or front sprocket for woods riding? I'm also curious if you change the sprocket if you would also be required to change the chain.

I scanned alot of the postings and smiled when I saw the people that complain about the starting prowess of the XR400. Mine can be a bear to start also, and kicking that sucker over when it's cold can be a real work-out.

I'm also thinking about putting a FMF power core on the bike. This should help my low end in addition to a sprocket change. Has anyone had any experience with these? Is the header pipe worth the $'s or are you just as well off checking the integrity of finish work on the stock header pipe?

I also read with interest how some of you have been modifying your air box and or filters. It can get very dusty where I ride in the summer and I worry about dirt/dust entering the air box. Has anyone had any problems with this?

Any advice would be appreciated along with suggestions that others might have tried. Thanks.

Highbeam

~SPONSOR~
Jun 13, 2001
On dust, the airbox modifications won't funnel airborne dust into the box. Your filter won't be exposed to any more dust than before. Water and chunks of stuff will have an easier time getting into the airbox without the baffle but dusty air will only enter the box as fast as your carburetor asks for it. Some folks go as far as to apply a netting or coarse filter over the entrance to the box to keep pine cones and mud chunks from being inhaled.

I hardly ever get into third gear on trails, never out of third in the woods. Why would you want to? You would be shifting all the time, and the big power of the 400 allows you to lug the engine. Your best bet, and what I did on my last big XR, is to drop a tooth from the front sprocket. This won't require you to modify your chain, it is cheap from rockymountainatv.com for 10$, and won't cause rubbage issues with the rear chain guide like a larger rear sprocket can. Also, the smaller front sprocket can be switched out pretty easily to allow you to change back and forth.

Don't bother changing the muffler or header pipes out if you are a woods rider. Studies have shown little to no benefit from aftermarket xr400 exhaust systems except they look cool and lighten your wallet. What little improvements there are almost always occur at the top end with the negative impact of big noise. The stock exhaust is really very good.

Do a search for the Gordon Mods. It will really make a big improvement for little money. Even if it weren't for the cash issue, there is very little else you need to do. As you can see from my recent post, I had some of the same fears as you so I waited a year before changing things. I never believed the improvements would be so big.

Kawidude

D'oh!
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 23, 2000
I never changed the gearing on my '97 XR400, but I did put a White Brothers R4 pipe on it. The pipe was one of the best mods I did to the bike. It definitely added a little more "pop" in the bottom end. It was quite a bit louder than stock, so I put the special R4 quiet core in it and was able to pass the 96db sound test at my riding area. I recently sold the pipe to my brother-in-law and he loves it too. I didn't do anything differently with the head pipe though. It was stock. A lot of guys are putting the Mikuni pumper carbs on the 400 with great results as well.

TheJunkMan

Jul 9, 2003
I agree with the note about the exhaust they generally just improve the top end (experienced this with a friends 400EX, same motor, it killed the bottom but gained some mid to top which is what he was looking for) and of course the noise issue, clean up the sloppy welds on the header pipe were it is joined to the mounting flange, of course if you read the Gordon Mods it will state that.

pivotpoint

Mar 7, 2004
Thanks guys for the input. TheJunkMan, thanks for the link to Gordon Mods. Great to see that the write up covered the 2000 XR 400. I'm going to give that a try.I'll have to think some more about the exhaust. Surprised that few have modified gearing. Thanks again for the input.

Trailryder42

Feb 6, 2000
On my '00XR4 I'm running 14/47 gearing. I initially swapped the front for the 14 and rode it like that for a while. Big improvement for woods stuff. Then I got into riding the hilly off camber stuff that my friends around Los Alamos ride and I decided to up the rear to a 47 and that's how I've run it ever since. Top end suffered for sure, as I don't like to run it over 40mph, but it's great for tight and technical stuff. You won't have to alter the chain for the 14, just readjust it's slack. The addition of the 47 rear required me to add a 2nd master link.

Derek

Top Bottom