XR400R to XR440R with stage one cam q's

Feb 9, 2013
Hello everyone,
I'm new to this board. We currently have a bike in the shop it's a 01 XR400R its getting the 440 kit with stage one cam for torque. It has the white brothers e series exhaust system with new needles and various other upgrades for trails.
I just want to know what I'm getting myself into. I've read many threads but they were confusing to me. I rise trails in the Midwest kc region of missouri. What torque do you think ill be getting out? I could care less about HP.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
Only ridden stock displacement ones, and I thought they were pretty torquey. The torque is the strong suit of the XR400.

A high compression big bore with a torque cam should make for an extremely torquey ride. It won't have the broad spread of power and usable rpm range of a modern 450 race bike, but I'll bet it make at least as much torque down low.

Feb 9, 2013
The rpm's aren't a factor. I ride the trails for fun. We go to Chadwick every so often and that bike does great. My other ride is a 01 KDX220. The best upgrade we did on that home was afull FMF gnarly exhaust. Acted like a complete different bike when it was tuned with the torque reeds. Dropping $1500 on it do i expect it to be worth it hopefully.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
The 440 kit with a stage 1 cam is a great combination. It will give you excellent torque down low and the bike will still pull strong on top. You may want to look for a TM pumper carb for it. The pumper carbs make a big difference on throttle response. Check out www.sudco.com for a carb.

Feb 9, 2013
Short on funds for the pumper. Turn out its the ck140 weisco kit and 68-2008 cam.12.5:1 compression ration. The machinist at the shop is porting and polishing the heads and intake.
What octane rating would anyone recommend? I've seen reports of upwards of 110 but I figure that on a daily basis would be rough.... I'm quite excited to get the bike back. Been out a week.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
At 12.5:1 I would run the highest pump gas you can find or an octane booster.

Top Bottom