Kawidude

D'oh!
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 23, 2000
I recently picked up a 2001 XR50 for my 4 year old son. It had an aftermarket throttle assembly and throttle cable. I switched it back to the stock assembly and cable in order to use the throttle limiter.

I got everything together and started it up. I started it with the choke on, then moved it to the middle position once it started. It idled fine, but when I moved the choke back to the off position the idle went through the roof. I tried adjusting the idle screw, but it made no difference.

I decided to park it for the night and post here for recommendations. Anyone have thoughts on what might be causing it? I thought maybe the throttle cable needed adjustment, but I can't figure out how to adjust the elbow right at the throttle. It's threaded, but it can't be rotated with the cable running through it.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Jasle

Sponsoring Member
Nov 27, 2001
your cable is too tight. you need to get about 1/8" of slack in thecable. just hold the cable and turn the adjuster clockwise to get it to rotate in some. you will need to loosen the jam nut first.

Kawidude

D'oh!
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 23, 2000
Thanks. That seems to be the consensus with everyone I've talked to so far. I'll give that a shot tonight.

Top Bottom