highcountry

Jun 3, 2001
Hi,

quick question on my XR. I have honda ss-8 (10w) oil in my forks right now. It works great on big "whoops" in the trail but when I get into rock gardens the front end bucks alot. I have the adjusters all the way to soft. should I switch to 5w oil or is this normal? Also is there any easy way to tell if the springs and valves are stock? In a past life this bike was raced, they did alot of stuff to it and I'm not sure if that was one of the things. Thanks!!!

Shaw520

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 14, 2000
Its hard to make an assesment based on the info you provided. Your weight and riding ability?
Generally; stock xr600 fork springs are way soft, even for the lightest riders, so if it feels harsh in rocks, my quess is that higher rate springs where installed. To soften this, you can first try 7wt oil at a lower level. (the lower the level of oil the softer it will feel). You should get a manual to find proper oil hieght specs and changing / filling proceedures.
Keep in mind that what works in slow rooted, rocky sections, will have an adverse effect on high speed whoops and g-outs. Good Luck. Feel free to e-mail me. I have set-up more than one of those 6honeys.

highcountry

Jun 3, 2001
Sorry Shaw. I'm 190lbs. I ride mostly rutted, rocky, fire/logging trails. I have never felt the bike bottom out on whoops/g-outs but I don't ride REALLY fast. I'm also not good enough to hit jumps. However, with all the posts saying XR springs are to soft I had assumed that I would have felt the stops a handfull of times with the dampening as soft as it is set. I will try a lighter oil. Thanks for your input. I really wish I knew about the springs. Are there no ID markings that anyone knows about. Maybe I'll have to shmooze my way into a test ride on a friends 600 and see if there is a diference. Thanks again.

scar tissue

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 27, 2000
If your bike was raced you can bet the springs have been changed and are stiffer. If you'd like a set of stock springs you can have my old ones for free(just pay shipping). I wieght 225 and went with Eibach .47 fronts and 12 rear and love them. the ride is so much better for me but I do hit jumps and things. you can try the oil trick that might work. and try having your forks cleaned and oil changed. A good shop can do that for you. Email me if you want the springs.

tmorenc@whitmont.com:cool:

Top Bottom