XR650Rider

Jan 10, 2001
Some thoughts on the big foam slabs that I have used.

STOCK: Works well. I won't plunk down 28 bucks for a flat piece of foam. The guy at the parts counter agreed. The origional one is holding up well.

UNI: Worst filter I have used. Even lets in underage dirt without carding it. Regulated to emergency use only. Would have worked great if it would have been a couple of MM larger on all dimentions. The new UNI is a slab of foam with a fancy aluminum cage for it. It only costs $39.00 at my local shop. I wanted one real bad, but I'm waiting on the second mortgage to clear.

TWIN AIR: Works great, if you can actually install it. Since it is two pieces of flat foam, you have to tip the bike on its side to close the coverplate. I'm still working on a good stretching routine that lets you steady a 320 pound bike with one hand and turn clips with the other.....

MOOSE: I've got two on order now. They were 13 bucks. If they work, I will have to get a Moose tattoo or something.

Any other thoughts....................?????????

KDK

Dualsport Guy

Feb 3, 2000
Have you considered the K&N filter? I think it would be ideal in the BRP application. My original filter seperated so I ended up replacing it with a UNI filter. The K&N wasn't available at the time.

Isn,t the Moose filter made by Twin Air? I would be interested in knowing if the Moose filter works for you.

Another idea I had was to make my own filter using bulk filter foam from UNI. They have a fine and coarse foam. Dabs of silicone will keep the layers together.

Brian

XR650Rider

Jan 10, 2001
DSG,

That's a great idea. I will try to use silicone to slap that Twin Air toghether.

And if Twin Air makes it for Moose, it sure will be nice to get it for half the cost.

Thanks,

KDK

Top Bottom