XR650 Vs DR650 Vs KLR650 Vs Other street legal dual pupose

AICS700

Jul 26, 2005
Hello,

Aye, an old member circa 2000 back again.

I am a 31YO guy, thinner build who used to spend a decent amount of time on a 2000 YZ-125. I still have the bike but a relocation has found it collecting dust.

I want to get a street legal bike..................I started looking at street bikes but I again thought about a dual-purpose. Yes, the out of place bike which masters neither world.

I would say that the bike will be used 70-30, favoring the street, work commutes, sunday rides. However I'l like to run mild trails, dirt roads, gravel quarries and take it camping in the woods.
Trailering the YZ into someplace where I get bored or kicked-out within a hour isn't worth it. It's loud, almost to loud (im getting old?) WI doesnt have the dirtbike parks like TX.

Back to the topic:

A 400cc would be much better as a woods bike but brand favorism pushes me to Honda. Since I'll take an occasional jaunt as the "odd guy" with a few cruisers, I also wanted decent top end and acceleration for freeway and something not super lysargic on the pavement.

The Honda looks inviting.
First Q: Can one get a street legal liquid cooled (like the R)?

A friend had a XR650R, it kick-started very hard. Also the 42mm carb had some kind of air restricter plug. The bike went but without a starter or liquid cooling, it seems just as heavy as the competitors.

I'd like to be able to pack a small load, the Kawi looks better to add a bag on the back. The honda's seat also sits well over the bars.
....and the Honda's fuel tank is small. I would have to upgrade the tank.

The others have features I wish the Honda has but, I havent looked at them closely. I find the Kawi kinda ugly but it seems to fit best on the street, perhaps worst in the dirt?
I am looking for performance info and any other input.

Thanks

Top Bottom