tarter

Feb 23, 2003
anybody out there have a xr650l dual sport that has lost spark?mine's a 99 model with 14,000 miles,been ridden hard,and even big lou has seen it in action on my local mx track....not to get too technical,but the coil ohms are within specs and the pulse generator seems to be also.any ideas?

helio lucas

~SPONSOR~
Jun 20, 2007
bad ground connections are usual...
maybe cdi, the service manual should have the specs
do you try a new spark plug? try also to disconnect the kill swich (or something like this)

B

biglou

I remember that bike! How could I forget it? I still tell stories about "the guy on the xr650l at the track!"

helio lucas

~SPONSOR~
Jun 20, 2007
any chance to hear (read) it?

B

biglou

It was a few years back, I wouldn't even know where to look for the story. It's just not every day you see a guy riding like a pro mx'er on a street legal XR650L. He was absolutely flying. Literally and figuratively. An XR659L makes a distinct noise when it lands! ;)

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Check your wire connections first like Helio suggested. If those are ok, remove the pulse generator coil and visually inspect it. The insulation on them can crack and it will let oil into the coil. It may check good when you check it with an ohm meter but it will not produce spark. If the insulation is cracked, replace it.

Just my $ .02

tarter

Feb 23, 2003
hey lou...check the archives (forums)"aftermath of big lou's party"to see the pics of me on my xr650L at merwin that year.Also thanks for the tips on that pulse generator.

2strokesrock

Oct 7, 2008
I looked up that party at Lou's...that pic of you flying on your XR was awsome! makes me more confident taking a KDX to a track.

motometal

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 3, 2001
good advice above for troubleshooting the electricals.

On my XR, the kill switch on the right side was flaky. Every once in a while it wouldn't start, but if I flipped the red switch back and forth a bunch of times while cranking it would take right off. Strange thing was, it never broke competely and it never killed on me once it was running due to the switch. If you haven't already done the electrical troubleshooting you might try messing with the kill switch, it only takes a minute.

Top Bottom