snaggleXR4

Aug 5, 2001
Hey,
I've been working on my recently purchased (used) '00 XR650R.

First of all, the bolt that holds the subframe to the main frame, at the top, where the subframe pivots. It has no nut on it!! The bolt comes in from the right side, sticks through but no nut. It appears that the subframe is slightly marked from a washer or something. Furthermore, the bolt is tight, but hardly sticks out more than a 1/4 - 3/8". My manual doesn't say jack. Is there supposed to be a washer/lock washer/nut on there!!!!????

Second, what's the deal with the dipstick hitting inside the frame as you screw it in? Mine is kinda twisted because every turn it hits and then slips past the frame. Obviously, straight dipsticks hit too, or else mine wouldn't be twisted. Any fixes???

Finally, I've got the open intake manifold, airbox restrictions removed, White Bros. pipe, bigger main jet, and needle in 4th position. My idle kinda surges, it doesn't keep a steady idle. If I blip the throttle, it idles down, but only for a minute, then it surges back and forth. I've checked thoroughly for airleaks, and can't find anything obvious. I'm pretty sure my stock 68 pilot jet is too lean for my setup. Is the "68s" pilot I've read about any richer?? Should I go up a whole size bigger on the pilot??

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

KevinB4stk

Jul 5, 2000
My 00 XR650r's subframe is tapped and the bolt sticks out past about 1/4 inch also.
I put a litle kink in my dipstick halph way down so it would go down in the frame easier but it still takes me a few stabs sometimes to get it in there corectly.
As far as the idle goes my bike idles smooth after it warms up. I'm runnung a 175 main jet, a 68s pilot jet and the original needle in the 3rd clip position from the top, open intake, open airbox, White Bros. E-series, it runs great.

snaggleXR4

Aug 5, 2001
Hey,
I've got a very similar setup. But I think I'm still lean on the pilot, probably part of my idle problem. What is the deal with the "68s" pilot versus the standard 68 pilot I've got in mine? Is the 68s richer or what?

snaggleXR4

Aug 5, 2001
Hey,
I've got almost the exact same setup. I richened my needle to the 4th position this morning with good results. However, I'm still lean on the pilot. What is the difference between the 68s and the standard 68 pilot I have?? Is it richer or what?? I think I'm going to end up having to go up one whole pilot size, but I'm confused on the "68s" pilot. Thanks

KevinB4stk

Jul 5, 2000
I'm not sure what the deal is with the 68s pilot but, I'm pretty sure that thats what I've got in mine. It is diferent than the original one.

Top Bottom