Kav

Crash Master
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 20, 2001
So I had some work to do to the newish to me XR-R over the last few days. First off I had to replace the steering bearings this past week. The steering was really tight, so I figured it should be an easy job of regreasing the bearings. I thought it was going to be a simple job, but the bearings were completely rusted and falling apart. With a quick order to Dennis Kirk I had new bearings and a mirror (needed one and a speedo to make the bike totally street legal for a mandatory on-base riding class) on the way. I also picked up one of these to remove the bearing races:
parksteeringstemraceremv.jpg

I wasn't sure if it was going to work, but it was cheap. As it turns out it worked awesome.

Filler pic:

IMG00258.jpg

The rusted solid lower bearing:

IMG00260.jpg

Kav

Crash Master
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 20, 2001
With that taken care of I had to address the speedo issue. I wanted to use the stock speedo cable and not spend a ton of money. I picked up a speedo off a '71 Honda SL350 for next to nothing and after modifying the old speedo mounting bracket it fits pretty good. It even clears the post on the steering dampener.

Pics of the speedo:

It's offset to clear the steering dampener and the light when I install it.

XRRSpeedotop.jpg

From the front:

XRRSpeedofront.jpg

Close up of the mount showing it clearing the steering dampener at full lock. I will get some small spacers soon to take up the space between the back of the speedo and the mounting bracket. I just need to work for now:

XRRSpeedoClearence.jpg

Kav

Crash Master
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 20, 2001
Now with everything back together and I'm very happy with how it came out. The speedo works like it should and is easy to read.

Here's the mount, the spacers are to move to speedo out far enough to clear the steering dampener:

XRRSpeedomount.jpg

From the front, everything is tucked in nicely:

XRRFront.jpg

And lastly a view of the cockpit:

XRRCockpit.jpg

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Good job Kav, I see you have a BFH next to your BRP in the last pic.

Kav

Crash Master
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 20, 2001
LOL The dead blow BFH? I love that thing, it makes quick work of applying excess force to anything very very quickly. In this case it was out for removing the steering bearing races and installing the lower steering bearing.

Porkchop

~SPONSOR~
Apr 27, 2001
Spying on Kavs garage

Kav always got the good stuff ! Great to hear from you yesterday,
RIDE ON BROTHER!!! Porkchop & Clan... :yeehaw:

Top Bottom