Minnesota.

Was wondering how you guys start your bikes, my dealer told me to do
it this way:

Push the kickstart through until it gets hard to push (TDC) then pull
in the compression release and push the kickstart a little bit more,
then release the compression release and kick it hard all the way
through.

This seems like a pain in the ass for someone used to 2-
strokes...anyone got an easier technique?

Don't have a lot of faith in my dealer after the first time I rode
the bike oil was really coming out of the airbox, then I drained the
old oil out (which they told me they checked) and found out the bike had 4 qts. of oil in it! Yoww!
:scream:

OnAnySunday

Big Pig
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 20, 2000
lost in the deserts of NM
???!!!???
Sounds like a technical procedure for a Honda! :eek:
I'm not certain, but i believe your bike should have an automatic comp. release.
(my 500R does, and its 20 years old!)
It does make it easier to find TDC first, then kick it through.
But ive never used the manual comp. release on mine.
(it probably is rusted up by now anyways!) ha ha.

rosshh

Nov 7, 2001
If cold with man decomp pulled I kick about 5-10 times not moving throttle (my bike likes no choke). Then find tdc and kick once and it starts. If warmed up just find tdc and kick once (no throttle). Only time I have had a problem starting is after a fall. Then be prepared for a workout (I find about 20 times with man decomp pulled (no throttle) and about 5-10 kicks usually does the trick in this situation).

BigBore

Jun 16, 1999
Richard......

That sounds normal to me. Thats the exact same way I start my bike when its cold, and it starts first or second kick. When its warmed up, sometimes I use that procedure, sometimes I just kick it like you would a two-stroke. The worst part about just kicking away is it might take 3 kicks to start (when its warmed up, that is).

LocoCD

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 22, 2000
I concur, it should start 2-3 kicks max if you follow the procedure. If you are kicking it 15 times you ought to see if anyone else currently riding the bike can start it easier, ie: is it your technique or the bike.

When warm mine is always a 1 kick effort, and it is a light kick.

When dropped/stalled, 4-5 kicks with the throttle wide open and compression release pulled , then same procedure.

If you ignore the TDC and man compression release you risk a snapped kick starter or busted foot. It ain't a 2 stroke!

tutoroto

Jan 2, 2001
That's exactly right! What you are trying to do is get the piston just past top dead center. When you kick it slowly and the lever gets real stiff, that is the piston coming up to TDC. Pulling in the compression release and kicking a little more barely pushes it past TDC and on it's way down the cylinder. Now bring the lever up to the top position and kick it through. My BRP takes 2 kicks cold and one kick hot. I never give it any throttle when kicking. If you fall over and it's hard to start, you need to hold in the kill switch, hold in the compression release, hold the throttle wide open and kick it through about 8-10 times. Then go back to your normal starting procedure. If it doesn't start, try the above againg for another 5-10 kicks. This bike is very easy to start if you follow the procedure. By the way, my bike is "uncorked" which means properly jetted, exhaust tip changed, airbox plugs removed, and intake manifold replaced. I am not sure how a bone stock 650R will be to start. By the way, visit http://groups.yahoo.com/group/XR650R if you haven't already. It is an excellent source for info on the BRP.
Have Fun

Tom H

Sep 5, 2000
It also helps a lot to have strong leg muscles! I can remember when I was young, my friend had a very old 500 cc Royal Enfield Single that we would ride around on a scrambles track. The starting proceedure was just about the same back then as it is now except you had to be sure to retard the timing. And if you screwed up it might break your leg. We learned to NEVER stall it. Starting it again would waste a half hour of precious riding time.

Top Bottom