Yama Mitch’s Bday Ride w KDX Mark & Comrade Mikhail

KTM Mike

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 9, 2001
Seeing that I can’t do any riding for a while, it looks like you will all have to put up with me posting about my kid’s rides!

About 4 years ago Mitch and I started doing an annual “birthday ride” in celebration of his birthday each year. Given my busted bones issue I was concerned I might be the cause of a break in our tradition. As much as I wanted to, me riding was not an option. A quick phone call to my buddy BJ explaining the situation, and I had a Surrogate Trail Dad to make sure Mitch got his ride in! Mitch lined up Comrade Mikhail to join us, and of course KDX Mark would come along. Never one to give up on participating in a ride, I decided I could run gas, munchies (man these kids can eat!), and snap pics from the relative comfort of our Jeep, meeting up with them at various road, two track and ORV route crossings.

We all met up off County Road 624 (Woodsy – you know that road – next time turn right to go west!). Plan was to ride the Atlanta C loop. In order to get the bikes and quad out there, we had to drop off the truck and trailer first with Sheila following to get me back home so I could then drive the Jeep out. As the boys and I headed back to the truck, it occurred to me that if BJ or Mikhail arrived before we got back, they would likely wonder why our truck and trailer was there – with no sign of us. Sure as shootin, there was BJ with his big 525 warming up, assuming we had left without him! Soon Mikhail arrived. A few minutes of addressing some messed up (you will enjoy this Fred) radiator mounts on BJ’s 525 (zip ties to the rescue once again!), and we were off.

Well, sorta…picture this – a 5 speed Jeep with a slightly balky tranny, a right hand that could not grip a stick shift, or if I tried it would hurt like hell, bombing along sandy two tracks trying to beat the riders to the next trail crossing! Did you know you can actually shift with your left hand if you lean to the right far enough? By the end of the day I was getting pretty smooth with it!

I can’t say much about how the actual riding went – but I sure had fun racing them to the crossings. I would slam the Jeep to a stop, run down the trail a ways, snap some pics, run back to the Jeep, struggle to get the key in the ignition and turn it (again – no dice right handed – similar technique to shifting though – lean right, use left hand) struggle to get seat belt on, grab the map to decide how to get to the next crossing, rip onto the next crossing. I did pretty well keeping up with them – a few spots arriving at exactly the same time!

It seemed everyone had a great ride. Lots of smiles from everyone, even the Surrogate Trail Dad BJ! A couple of minor get offs for Mark and Mikhail – nothing major though. When I would see them, the boys all seemed to be setting some decent paces. The weather cooperated – no rain, and very comfortable riding temps. Mikhail got to do his first trail ride since getting first gear working on his YZ and is doing an outstanding job in his first season of riding. Mitch got his birthday ride in (happy 15th kido!), and I at least got to participate – perhaps not how I would have preferred to, but it was fun in its own, at times laughable way!

Some pics to follow

KTM Mike

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 9, 2001
Here are the first few pics - Mark, Mitch then Mikhail all looking good in the turns.

Attachments

• mark berm touched up2.JPG
    mark berm touched up2.JPG
    52.5 KB · Views: 188
  • mitch berm touched up2.JPG
    mitch berm touched up2.JPG
    49.4 KB · Views: 188
  • mikhail corner 2 touched up2.JPG
    mikhail corner 2 touched up2.JPG
    77.8 KB · Views: 187

KTM Mike

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 9, 2001
Here are a couple more shots:

First is BJ bending his 525 around a corner. Next is BJ with that ever present smile on his face - just happy as a clam to be out riding! Thanks for being the Surrogate Trail Dad! I owe ya one. And last is the Zoo Crew - Mikhail, Mitch and Mark

Attachments

• bj railing it close up2.JPG
    bj railing it close up2.JPG
    50.4 KB · Views: 179
  • BJ smiling2.JPG
    BJ smiling2.JPG
    41.7 KB · Views: 175
  • zoo crew2.JPG
    zoo crew2.JPG
    86.7 KB · Views: 185

MWEISSEN

Whaasssup?
Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 6, 1999
Mike, thanks for sharing this story. I'm sitting in my motel room in Rochester waiting for the start of my first annual transplant checkup tomorrow through Wednesday (as usual, I waited until I got here to look at my schedule. Tomorrow, there is NO time between tests to even get breatkfast or lunch - straight through from 7am to 3pm). This was a great way to end the day, seeing some great Michigan trail and great riders! I was thinking while reading this that you'd do well with one of those right-hand drive Jeeps!

KTM Mike

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 9, 2001
Last pic

My ride for the day. Doesnt do well in the whoops - a bit underpowered. The high zoot Rancho Suspension (thanks Creeper9! ) with adjustable damping helps though - supple in the rocks and roots, yet soaks up the big hits (seriously it does!). Not the best in tight single track though. Does well in muds and rocks though, particularly if the quick disconnects are disconnected to let it articulte . Much better sound system than my KTM. Needs a foot shift!

Attachments

• earl2.JPG
    earl2.JPG
    78.4 KB · Views: 185

KTM Mike

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 9, 2001
Mark - hope the tests all go well! Boy - as a health care facility, you would think they would give you time to at least eat a healthy meal!

right hand drive...now that would certainly get me confused!

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
Great writeup there good buddy!! And ohhhh those pics - nothing like a Kodac moment is there.. One thing bothers me, are my eyes going wacky or have you crossed into the "gotta make those trails wider" zone.. It appears that you may be the person we have been looking for.. Someone has been single tracking on the horseshoe loop here with something that has more then 2 wheels and its definitly not a quad.. Ask Timer, he saw the tracks too when his crew from Chicago was here.. Seriously Mike, looks like you guys had a BALL and thats what its about.
Oh yea, "Road 624 (Woodsy – you know that road – next time turn right to go west!)."
Ya KTM riding bum!! No one managed to tell ol Woodsy that the sun sets in the EAST up there!! Down here it sets in the West!!! You folks are a little backwards thats for sure :laugh:
Woodsy :ride:

On another note: Mike you should see the GORGEOUS XT500 Yammie I nabbed today!! That AWESOME orignal Silver aluminum tank is PERFECT!!! Runs like the day she came off the floor - still ALL original down to the blinkers!! SUCKER RIPS!! I also have a great lead on a 74 125 Elsinore that I am working!! Sold the Buell and sled (went to Alabama and Buffalo respectively).. May be going to Colorado on another "Truck Trip" for my Film Star buddie. If I do, and its not to late in the season (not unusual for snow to exceed 30 feet where I am going) I WILL have more bench racing stories for next years Camp, ahhhh, if I get asked again.. :moon:

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
Good to hear that the ride went off with out a hitch! Sounds like you had fun two tracking with the jeep any way "Aaron would be jealous!" He wants to take that big yellow monster north and do a little two tracking, just hasn't happened yet.

3KDXXR2

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 3, 2002
Happy Birthday Yama Mitch

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
OOPPSSS, Indeed - HAPPY BIRTHDAY MITCH!!!!!

KTM Mike

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 9, 2001
Mitch said to say "thanks" to all of you. Who replaced that little kid I used to have with this 15 year old?! Seems like just yesterday he was riding around on a little JR50 with training wheels!

Mikhail - you are welcome to join us for rides anytime! Mark and Mitch enjoyed it as well.

Woodsy - sounds like you got a good one on that XT! Hard to find them thin skinned aluminium tankers in good shape! If you pick up that CR shoot me an email - I have a few names of guys likely interested in old CRs I can send your way. Oh - I think we need to put a moratorium on new ride reports from you until you get caught up a bit! We will have to wait and see if I will invite you here again :p

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
Cool story Mike.... glad you still got to hit the trails on Mitch's b-day. Two days after my collarbone break, I was at our yearly Daddy / Daughter square dance.... with both daughters trying to swing on my arms!

... And a belated Happy Birthday YamaMitch!

meterman

May 2, 2004
Mike- They all had good technique in the corners, except Mitch has 2 extra wheels!
Woodsy-please post a pic of the XT, I have an almost cherry 79 and a parts bike 76.

Top Bottom